1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long to plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark Oomkes, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

GV is making me jealous with his driveway threads, and besides, there's the ongoing "discussion" of plowing with 1 truck or 8 trucks, a tractor and a loader in a 2 acre parking lot that is faster.

So, let's get some estimates on how long to plow this church lot:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2...2!3m1!1s0x8819b6ff248a0627:0xd9e89395b815ada5

Call it about 4.7 acres. 2 overhangs, half a dozen light poles.

Let's get some guesstimates on time, give your setup, what you're plowing with. Figure 2".

I'll let it go awhile before I give my times.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Time is 2 wheel drive or 4?

3. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

You must be bored, we need snow....

4. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

I have never plowed anything but my drive way. I would guess a good operator could do it in an hr to an hr 1/2. I bet I could make it take up to 4 to 6 hours. 98 ram 1500 fisher mm1 5.2 in low range. Brand new tires. I would charge 800

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  5. Mark Oomkes

It's up to you, whichever will get it done the fastest for you.

No Randy, no hot dogs.

Dodge, Ford, Chebbie or Unimog.

You can even throw in your price, except I could care less and that's not what I want to know.

6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

In all honesty...2.88 hrs (1) 1 ton with 9'6 vplow

7. Mark Oomkes

You sure it wouldn't be 2.87? :drinkup:

8. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

i'd say if im plowing with my 350 9'2 boss probably 2 and a half to 3 hours if its only 2 inches but if you got more than like 4 you're gonna either need a loader to do it or plow in scoop mode which would take like 4 hours if you tried to plow in scoop the whole time. honestly i wouldnt put a truck on that lot, i'd have to put a loader on there. if im plowing every 2 inches with my truck i would probably charge like 800-900 per plow and that would be if i went to the church and i'm doing them a favor considering it would take up half a route. unless they let you do it whenever you want before like 9 or 10 then i'd go cheaper

9. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

2 inches on the lot, I'd bid it for 2.4 hours. 8'2" V with wings.

I'm curious to hear numbers with just a plow, and with a plow and back blade. I'd think on a lot like that you could comfortably knock an hour off with a back blade.

I'd set it up to plow the rear section windrowing from the building to the curb in circles and then for the upper angle and lower angle. Plow enough room to raise the blade and turn around and haul ass back the other way. No reverse other than final touchup and stacking. Be easier if those buildings weren't in the bottom right.

10. Mark Oomkes

I should have asked as well, how would you plow it? I know it's kind of hard to describe, but do your best.

11. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I would break it into three sections. the section on the bottom, plow diagonal, then the section on the side lot plow up and down and the top left corner plow diagonal again. If you get behind you could always bring 3 trucks in and have each truck do those three sections seperately but i personally think having even 2 trucks on a lot is too hectic.

12. John_DeereGreen

Some people's ideas amaze me. That is all.

13. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Guessing with my wideout I could hit close to the two hour mark especially say third or fourth time plowing it. Being still fairly young in the industry I always seem to get a bit faster after doing it a couple times and developing a good system.

14. Mark Oomkes

Smart man, never stop thinking about the way you're plowing. I've plowed stuff a hundred times and done something a little different that saves me 2 or 3 or even 5 minutes per push.

I don't expect anyone to be 100% efficient the first 2-3 times plowing something new.

15. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I would try and plow the lot in a complete circular motion (counter clock wise) as much as possible using the drive on right side to connect the lots. Pushing the north/south lot straight out and windrowing the 2 angle lots then going back clean up. Doing it that way the plow is on the ground 90% of the time with less backing up. Using V with wings would be ok but seeing your windrowing mostly I would use a wide out or a blizzard 8611. One truck 2 to 2.25 hrs.

16. John_DeereGreen

That was my first thought. I'd probably have to try it both ways a couple times before I decided for sure.

17. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Curious to hear you answer mark as well as technique

18. jerpa

jerpa Member

2.5-3 Hrs to start. '13 GMC 2500 8.2 V

I'd be in dogleg mostly and through the first area, close to the walks, so I could carry some snow to that bend to pile later, while windrowing excess to the right. I'd push down the left to the area near the pile at bottom left and then over to the bottom right. I'd come through and push to the top and start around the building again. Then take care of the bottom corner while cleaning everything up.

2014-12-04 13.07.10.jpg

19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How long depends on what kind of church it is.

20. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Well I'm assuming your church is across the street (assuming) so no travel time needs to be included from site to site on this one. If your not CRC then you will need to add travel time, not sure how close the next site would be.

I would have to say on an average storm with a 5000 series and a 9/14 snow wing or similar 1.25 hours