1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long to plow this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BK Hammer, Aug 19, 2008.

1. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

How long do you experienced plow drivers think it will take to plow 102000 sqft of asphalt contained in three parking lots with minimal obstacles such as curbs and light poles. The equipment is a 8.5 Extreme V with wings. How much salt to adaquately cover as well.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Depends on alot of things....the biggest being the amount of snow and ice.
  3. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Thanks for the response hydro_37!
    So let's say 3.5 inches to plow and maybe 1/4"-1/2" of ice. We don't do a lot of battle with ice here in Colorado. I mostly spread it as more of a preventative measure. One event last year ice only. I was lucky because I spread on my lots and then we received 6" of snow. Plowed straight to pavement-awesome.
  4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

if you could get a google earth snapshot then maybe...im having a hard time visualizing 102,000sq ft :rolleyes: its roughly 320'x320' but what lies between the perimeter is what matters
  5. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

That makes sense 06HD. Will try to post that snapshot-new at this so it may take a bit. In the meantime the total sq footage is broke down into three lots and one road

lot 1-170X195 (33,150sqft)
    lot 2-60X555 (33,300sqft)
    lot 3-110X194 (21,340)
    road-24X583 (13,992sqft)

2 light poles in lot one and two light poles in lot 2 no curbs in the middle and none on the perimeter except four where the handicapped spaces are. one speed bump on the road
  6. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

If I were to guess, assuming that each lot was about the same size, that would put them at about 35k sq ft. per lot. Sounds like about 30-40 minutes each depending on the snow conditions, with no obstacles, etc. with one v blade. Now let the snow get 8" deep and we are talking another 50% more time. Just my .02 good luck! As far as the salt goes, that is more debatable. One of the old salty dogs would give a better clue than me, I don't live in the same climate.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  7. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

a pic would be nice... any hand shoveling
  8. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Thanks for the info on plow times. I am a little slower than you are NLS1 as I figured 3.5-4 hrs. I think I will put fisher wings on this year which will make me a little over ten feet wide. Maybe that will help cut my time. I also probably plow slower than I could as I don't want to brake anything.

A pic would be great! Only my old dinosaur mac computer won't support google earth. I need a better graphics card and also need to update my computer first. If anyone is really interested in seeing this place and wants to post a pic the address is 6400 W 20th st Greeley, Colorado 80634

Again, thanks for the input!

9. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Totally forgot-no sidewalks or hand shovelling
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Go drive the lot just like you were plowing it and see how long it would take to plow it by just driving the area you would plow. Then add some extra for lack of experience
  11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

also dont drive 30 mph either;)

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

roughly 3-4 days
  13. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Great! I will only need this one account at an hourly rate. Sounds like good money lol
  14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 8 1/2 foot western mvp with wings and I think I could get that done in 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Having 4 lots instead of 1 would make it faster.
  15. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

That does sound about right especially after reading salopez' thread on production times. One acre is one hour with an eight foot plow.

I am thinking about a wing purchase. Do you like your a lot and do they make a huge difference in plow times and snow trailing off in scoop as well as when windrowing? We have basically the same plow since General dynamics makes both our plows
  16. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

hope this helps

your looking at like 2.34 acres so use this
    Plow truck with 7.5 - 8’ blade can clear one acre of area with no obstructions, no light poles, no intrusive curbs, and mostly wide-open areas as follows:

Snowfall Time (minutes) Time (decimal)

2” 45 minutes .75 hours
    4” 60 minutes 1.00 hours
    6” 75 minutes 1.25 hours
    8” 90 minutes 1.50 hours
    10” 105 minutes 1.90 hours
    12” 120 minutes 2.00 hours
  17. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I am not sure I agree with your times. I have found that time goes up exponetually with increased snow...example

1 hour for 2-4
    2 hours 4-6
    4 hours 6-8

maybe if a lot was 1 acre as you discribed, but when you need to start stacking working around customers and organizing times increase quickly on largers sites...

however maybe its just me!
  18. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

i totally agree i should have mentioned the fact that those numbers came off the sima site.
  19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think I would buy another plow that you couldn't put wings on. We had a few large snowfalls last year. I would put the V in scoop and go across the lot making a mess but getting as much as possible to the end. Then I would go back and plow it perfect. They are a lot faster. I think I would buy a straight blade with wings before I would buy a V blade without. But a V with wings is perfect.
  20. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

Thanks for all the input. Proposal went in today and I hope they will bite. I feel pretty confident it is profitable. Not that I really need more, but I think it will be a good contract to have. Gave them a high priced seasonal option and then followed that with a three year at a discounted rate. Any of you guys tried this method with any success? Also gave them an hourly rate.

Can't wait to be perfect Cet-got hold of Larry @ CPW to get those wings a commin'

I also can't believe I was the first one to get a proposal in! I am sure I'm behind the ball in many of your eyes, but not many in Colorado even think about snow this early. Hoping for a cold, snowy winter.