1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long to plow this HOA

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by hairygary, Oct 10, 2009.

1. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

I was requested to bid this HOA property, which includes plowing every 2".
    Customer wants the area in front of garages which are adjacent to the roads backdragged. and a good portion of the snow placed into ponds which are the two large areas in the center of the drives. The total plowable area is about 1.4 acres.
    I am just curious how long you guys think it would take on a 2-3" accumulation.

2. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Ok, I was guessing in the 2 to 2.5 hr range for 2-3" of snow, with one truck, two trucks could cut that in half, does this sound right?
    I am used to bidding commerical lots or just residential driveways, not a whole small HOA, just looking for input.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You better add to that time. Since you have to push it to only 2 spots its going to take a little longer. What type of plows are you using ? Are you using a skid?
  4. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

just using trucks on this site, a skid only if snow needs to be relocated.

I drove the site with the president and he wants the area around the ponds pushed into the ponds. The smaller lots by the garages can be pushed out to the grass.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ummm, 2 trucks would still equal the same amount of time.

The only way to cut it in half would be to increase your efficiency.
  6. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

There is now way two trucks would equal the same abount of time as one truck in this job or most plow jobs. Two trucks may not cut the time in half exactly, but it would be close.

I was just trying to get an estimate of time for 1 truck and then I can base it off that.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

One truck taking one hour or two trucks taking 1/2 hour is still one truck hour to be billed.
  8. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Mick, I totally agree with you, I am just trying to figure out how much this property will take with one truck in the 2-3" range. I am not talking about billing, I am just trying to get routes put together, and this property is a little more unique than my other commercials, and I am trying to figure out how much time will be spent on the property.
  9. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Mark, I think we were talking about two different things, as you were talking about billing, and I was talking about the amount of time spent on the property.

I was just trying to get a baseline of the amount of time for one truck to take care of this property, as I was estimateing about 2-2.5 hrs. I understand what you are saying in that two trucks using my figures would be 1--1.25 hrs, but is the same amount billed. Do you think my figure of 2-2.5 for one truck is accurate for 2-3" snowfall.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you had a way to get a skid with a box or a Blizzard in there it would rule. Maybe a pickup too. Goint to spend a lot of time backing carefully into those corners.
  11. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

I dont see one truck being able to do anything else besides this
  12. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I think your under estimating the amount of time for maneuvering the trucks.

1) Saying they want the drives back dragged ... does that mean they are responsible for the last 1 or 2 foot of snow near the garage door? If not, get two guys with snow blowers to get their before the trucks.
    2) Pushing snow into a pond seems nice. However, if there is salt or even oil you can get into huge trouble if the water turns polluted.
    3) I would consider utilizing away from the pond first to minimize what goes into the water shed.

2 trucks 1.15 1.5 hr each. Keep in mind parked cars, kids, buildings and push distances with trail off.
    2 snow blowers 2 hrs for the garage doors.
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's the difference between pushing the snow in the pond vs up to the pond? As for pushing it to the sides, I expect the whole property is ultimately in the same watershed.
  14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

What does a "good portion of the snow" mean?

A good portion mean different things to different people.......do you know what the expectation is?
  15. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

1. I am not responsible for the last foot or two of snow next to garage, as we discussed this and to keep costs down, they did not want a shoveler/snowblower. They understand that there may be up to a 3 foot distance where the plow will backdrag from.

2. Not really an issue, as they dont want the property salted, and the way the road is angled, water already flows into these retention pond.

3. The snow pushed into the ponds is the from the area directly around the ponds as there isnt much other area to put it without blocking walks. The side lots, where the garages do not face the ponds, snow can be pushed into the ends. So about 50% is pushed into the ponds.
  16. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Sooooo, is this more a retention pond area and NOT a min-lake/pond? That would make a different in what I would be concerned with.

( To another poster when I refereed to a little pushed up next to I meant a very little which is trail off. Technically they say 1 Tablespoon of Salt with Chloride can poison 5 gallons of fresh water not to mention if your area has water policies/police :D )
  17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Might be to you, but doesn't look very unique. Unless this plowing thing is new to you, you really shouldn't be struggling with this.

The advice I will give you is determine your response plans using a real snow depth......not the easiest depth you will plow.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

How do you plan on making any money on this job?
  19. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

I priced the plowing so that I am making money. Of course salt would be nice, it appears their HOA association does not have the money for it.

I am not new to plowing, however most of my commercial lots are pretty much rectangular, some with an island or two and just residential driveways. I just wanted to make sure my time frame I had estimated was accurate.
  20. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member