1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long to plow these?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John_DeereGreen, Feb 17, 2015.

1. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

So, conversation from Mark's thread a few weeks back got me thinking, and another thread in the bidding/estimating section made it resurface in my brain.

How long would you bid each of these properties to take, using what equipment? And describe how you would plow each property as best you can. FIgure the plowing at 2 inches.

First one. It's just a hair over 250000 square feet.

How about this one? Just the portion that's outlined, not the entire lot. It's just over 60000 square feet. What about the whole lot? 140000 square feet.

I'll post my numbers this afternoon later or in the morning after the guesses are in.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It takes as long as it takes and not one minute longer.
  3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Looks like loader lots,no idea lol. your on your own.
  4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

1rst lot -- 2hrs w/2 speed skid & 10ft pusher...?

2nd lot -- link wasn't working for me...but I tried looking it up through the address. Not sure im looking at the right thing, but id say --- truck with power plow(wideout in my case), 1.5hr-1.75 for whole thing...?
  5. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

1st lot- 4 hours with a wideout or large V... 6 hours with a 8' straight
  6. John_DeereGreen

If you looked at the property on the corner of Riffel Road and Friendsville road you have the right one. Large area to the left, small loop around the front, down the side, and a little larger area out back.

Just making sure, you did see the part in my first post about assuming 2 inches of snow, correct?
  7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Ya, pretty sure im looking at the right one....I'll stick with my original "guesses"...

Both of these lots are ones I would prefer to do with a machine....but would need addtional work, close by, to justify it. Personally, I like keeping my lots for trucks at 1 hr or less....in fact, I'd say our avg lot that a truck does is 15-20min on 4in snows

I suppose if I had a 16ft ebling on a truck, my feelings about what size & layouts of lots I took on for trucks would change....
  8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

First one looks like a pain with all them Islands. Where are you able pile snow at?

2nd one looks easier
  9. John_DeereGreen

Antler, snow can go anywhere it needs to go, not a big deal, they're not terribly picky. I stack it on the right side and upper right corner of the larger open area, and in the parking spaces along the left side of the lot.

Here's the numbers:

First property, with 2 inches of snow on it, done in 55 minutes. From the first time the blade dropped, until the last pass and I was pulling out of the lot. I have done everything minus the right upper corner in about 30 minutes, as well. On a side note, my Ebling was down for a large storm we had about a month ago. I did the entire lot from start to finish with 7-8 inches of powder with just my Boss in 2 hours and 35 minutes.

Second property, 35 minutes, start to finish.

No machines, nothing but my 3/4 ton Dodge, 8'2" Boss V with wings, and 16 foot Ebling.
  10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I'm confused as is the norm, the first lot is 5.5 acres and you plow it in 55 mins? 8'2" plow! If you ever decide to come east I'll pay you 250$ an hour to plow with me! You're a rock star:drinkup:
  11. R1lukasz

R1lukasz Member
    from Chicago

It takes me 2-3 hours to plow 2in with wideout mounted on f350 6 acres lot , it only have few island , nothing like your lot . I will not want to plow it alone with one truck . we just have a blizzard 2ft of snow did it all alone one wideout , good luck to You [​IMG]
  12. Antlerart06

Was the lots empty/ After hours or during the day

You have a photo of your Dodge.
    Do you run both plows down at same time.

Just looks like from the photo a lot of detail work.
    But since its not a picky account maybe there not much detail work.
    You have any photos what some the areas looks like after you plow it?

I see you are lucky you don't have shopping cart holders to clean out.
  13. John_DeereGreen

You missed the 16 foot Ebling part ;)

I refuse to clean shopping cart holders out. They're in this lot, but they aren't paying for it, so I'm not doing it.

That was after hours with no cars in the lot. I can do all driving lanes and the larger front section, and both sides in about 35 minutes. The larger side, on the left on the overhead shot takes about 10 minutes start to finish, the one on the right takes about 6.

Also, those times are with it being done correctly. No ****** trails, minimal snow on the islands, none around light poles. I'm pickier than they are by far, but I can't bring myself to leave something looking half assed even if the customer doesn't care.

The islands are a breese with the Ebling. They're a lot harder and slower with just the v blade. I'd have to draw a diagram as to how I actually do it, it's hard to explain. Drop Ebling, scrape with the island from one side to the other. Lift Ebling, cut wheels the other way and repeat. Do that once in each direction and they're done. Once you get the islands down the center opened up there's nothing to it.

I've got pictures on my iPhone but I have no clue how to put them on here.

The truck is only in reverse for stacking at each end of the large front area, and when I pull all the snow from the building away all the way to the edges on each side, then stack it.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  14. Antlerart06

If they was there must blended in with the pavement.
    I understand what you talking about cleaning the islands.
    You do have a none picky account there.

So you run both plows do you loose traction?
    I know guys here run both at same time. Then they hit the pile with front plow then they back up and takes 2 push ups clean up the rear plow.
    Is that how you do it ?
  15. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

What happens when it snows 3-4" an hour? Do you dedicate that truck to that lot?
  16. John_DeereGreen

I just went to the overhead shot and looked...I know where they're at and I can barely see them.

I guess it varies from area to area, but here no one expects contractors to clean out cart stalls.

The only time I've run out of traction is if I have to stop or slow way down for a car or something that's moving with both blades full of snow. Most of the time I just use the Ebling to clear, and at the end of the pass I'll angle it to the left as I'm turning to the left, and to the right as I turn to the right. Use the front blade to throw as much of the snow from the last pass of the Ebling over to the outside as possible. Every few passes, stop and push it up/back. You can run both blades at once through the whole lot but it can quickly become overwhelming.

It's not often we get anything like that. And storms when you're getting that kind of snowfall, no one is keeping up. Keeping driving lanes and around the building open is all you can do. Then work on open areas as you can.

I cover a total of just over 10 acres with this truck, and could comfortably add 5 more to that. These 2 lots are the 2 bigger ones, then I have several 20000-40000 square foot ones. Next season, I'll be covering these 2 plus an 8.5 acre property and more than likely another 4 acres spread over 3 sites. A second truck will do the smaller ones I'm doing now, plus a couple apartment complexes, all the salting and fill in on these here and there.

We've got 2 Case 621B's with HD14 Arctic boxes on them. A 244J Deere with an LD12, and 4 skids, 2 with 10 foot Boss boxes, 1 with 10 foot Kage, and 1 with an 8-13HLA Snowing. In anything under 4 inches of snow, they can't hold a candle to my production. It takes a truck and a wheel loader, or 2 skid steers to even come close to what I'm doing with just the truck. Yes, larger storms or heavier snow they start to shine a little more, but they still don't outwork my setup.

I feel handicapped and like I'm wasting my time if I don't have the back blade. I'll never run a truck myself without one again.
  17. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Looked up your seasonal totals and I see what you mean. No way could we get away with one piece covering that many acres. On a lot like that most pm's would expect a loader or at least a skid to stack with the storm.
  18. John_DeereGreen

Being where you are I could understand that to an extent. But at the same time, I can stack for the most part as good with a truck as our skids.
  19. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

That's impressive :)
  20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I need to setup my personal truck with a 16ft ebling.

My only thing is, trucks a so fragile compared to machines.