1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how long to plow self storage lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by flykelley, Oct 14, 2008.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys
    How much pain in the butt to plow a self storage lot. Have a chance to get a contarct for 5 self storage units. Like most of them they are long runs, but I can stack snow in between buildings. Anybody do any in the past. Thoughts?

Regards Mike
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yeah , run the otherway -
  3. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

stay away ive been subbed for 3 years on one it takes forever i have a straight blade if you had a v would be quicker but the near misses ive had scare the crap out of you. and there are always those that see you plowing aND ASK FOR FAVORS IM HOPING I DONT GET THAT JOB THIS YEAR!!!
  4. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

We plow one and they are really not that bad. Start at one end of the isle and push to the other. We have areas to stack snow and will haul out when no more room is available. I would recommend a v plow or blizzard 810. Alot of trail off using straight blades due to the long run. We make our own v using 2 trucks and it works well for us.

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

depends on each set up i guess

i jsut never found one that was really worth the money, the owners always seem cheap to me... plus no salt, and REALLY beat the heck out of my equiptment
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  6. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

The one next door to where I work takes the company FOREVER, and they use a truck and a bobcat. The owner of the place is cheap, doesn't have salt put down, and requires all snow stacked in one corner on either end.
  7. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I must agree...I had the same here;one was excellent revenue 3 acres/2 years of service, no issues with service.. but a lowballer $4,000 a season! I was fetch'en over 16k (not an easy location lots of trucking off site) talk about a loyal customer. This same customer just recently called me to bid again, I think i'll let him go a season without the professionals again. The other property still making the bucks. yah, I agree with some of the replies, they can be a PITA, but with experience and equipment...piece of cake.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Vee Blade (perferably with wings,) DDizzard, wide out, XLS, skid steer w/Snowpusher, Snoway Revo, at least one of these required. Should be premium rate work since either specialized equipment, or tremendous hours are required. Bid it right, check the customers credit history, and reap the benefits.

Remember, if they're sloped roofs (like our local unit) they could require constant maintenance for a period after the snow. the local guys do their own (I supply equipment:cool: :jester:) and they (verb; ) female dog about the slide off. Once the sun comes out it just dumps random piles of snow in the Aisles all day long.
  9. flykelley

Ok Guys
    Some more info. I am running a 8.5 Boss Straight blade with box ends. They want salt after every plow, and want to be billed after every plow. We bid this high just in case its a pain in the ass. We bid two sets but only got the one set of 5 storage areas. It is a per push contract so that is good. My only problem is how far and the limited places to stack snow. Yes there is a trucking fee if we have to haul and load it out. I am thinking about 1 hour to 1 1/2 per building. If it comes out to that we will make good money on this contract. Just second guessing myself, since I have never plowed a storage unit before. I have plowed some lots that are a pain in the butt over the years.

Regards Mike
  10. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Good luck, hopefully it works out for you. Take some pics once the snow falls so we can see the mess :)
  11. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

We just got one very local, i mean 5 miles away down one straight road and one traffic light.... Starts at under 4" for $750 per push, includes salt. I knowingly bid it lower than i wanted to, normally would be eh $900-1k for first push, but i know there will be drifts and as soon as i can get our loader on site, the better it is for us and thats where we'll make the money. The managers seem like they'll be ready to call us with any ice on the surface which would be all the time after a snow, downspouts every 20feet on all buildings and pitched driveways :) At $300 a pop, we'll be there all the time salting.

I agree though, most are uber cheap, dont want this, dont want that, or want to call when they want it etc. Ive looked at others that would require 2-3 machines/trucks there at the same time to make it any worth while efficient... and would take a long time for the smaller size area.
  12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

1-1.5 Hours sounds very very short. I would think, WITHOUT SEEING IT, you need to budget 3-4 hours at this place.....minimum......
  13. flykelley

Hi Guys
    We withdrew the bid today. Just seemed like the contract was too much in favor of the property owner. Just wanted salt when plowing but wanted us to assume all liabilty which id not good. I woke up at 4 am and my gut said to take a pass on this contract, so this morning we called and said thanks but no thanks. I hate to turn work down but it just seemed like it was going to be nothing but a pain in the butt.

Regards Mike
  14. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

It's hard to do that but sometimes its better not to do some work, especially if your neck would be on the line for their decisions. Something else will come up no worries.
  15. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I guess that makes two of us, i recently posted one of my situations and did the same. eventually this same customer will approach you again and stick to your guns. best of luck
  16. TulipGrove

TulipGrove Junior Member

Stay away!

I did ALL the Shurgards in MD, unitl Public Storage bought out...they all want it pushed to ends (VERY TIME CONSUMING)..not blocking doors (MEANS YOU HAND SHOVEL IT) and want NO SALT...meaning they wnat you to come back FOR FREE because of ice. ALL THEY WANT is the $$$$ from the clients.....not an invoice from us.
    Just my opinion...
  17. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Just excepted another storage location through referral on Saturday.
    Why not take it...its free advertising but always mediation involved when negotiating price with these places.
  18. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

19. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

invalid url,
    i'm thinking your suggestion v-plow?
  20. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

ya know the place up the street from where i live they push it all to one end and theres not to much room for it {buts up to a animal hospital witha iron fence so they take a skid with a big blower attachment to get rid of it that way looks like it works well for them