1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long to expect to stay out plowing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScnicExcellence, Oct 8, 2008.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

ok not exactly as the title states but, What do you do when you are out constant for 2 or 3 days as some people mention?

Do you take power naps like hour here and there or do you just go striaght through until you can't anymore.

I am thinking the naps would be a good idea but then again i only live 10 minutes at most away from my customers, so i might just go home for a couple hours here and there. depends on how green i can make my eyes turn. payup payup payup payup

Also when doing residentials and doing them per push, with say a 7 or 8 inch snow storm i would normally plow my contracts 2 times they are charged per push and the one or two seasonals i wil have i will do towards the end of the storm or when i am int he area but not right away. with advertising alot in the areas that i have contracts could i expect alot of calls for services for plowing and then probably stay out for extra long periods of time?

Also could i easily expect to make $1200 per 6 to 8" storm for one truck before expenses? say in a twelve hour event?

I know it differs in the areas but the drive i will be doing are epected to take 3 to 4 minutes and 2 to 3 minutes of shoveling each at an average of $30 per drive way. travel time of 3 minutes max between customers some on the same street three doors down.

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

grandview just shoots some FF into his veins and he can plow for a week straightwesport

3. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Mountain Dew and Redbull!!!!! We don't need no stinkin' sleep

[/QUOTE]I am thinking the naps would be a good idea but then again i only live 10 minutes at most away from my customers, i might just go home for a couple hours here and there. depends on how green i can make my eyes turn. payup payup payup payup [/QUOTE]

go home get on plow site!!!!

[/QUOTE]Also when doing residentials and doing them per push, with say a 7 or 8 inch snow storm i would normally plow my contracts 2 times they are charged per push and the one or two seasonals i wil have i will do towards the end of the storm or when i am int he area but not right away. with advertising alot in the areas that i have contracts could i expect alot of calls for services for plowing and then probably stay out for extra long periods of time?
    Also could i easily expect to make $1200 per 6 to 8" storm for one truck before expenses? say in a twelve hour event?[/QUOTE]

$30 X 2 pushes/home X 20 homes =$1200

[/QUOTE]I know it differs in the areas but the drive i will be doing are epected to take 3 to 4 minutes and 2 to 3 minutes of shoveling each at an average of $30 per drive way. travel time of 3 minutes max between customers some on the same street three doors down.[/QUOTE]

4 min (you have a back blade?)per drive+3 min shoveling(un-realistic)+3 min. travel= 10 min avg which means 6 homes per hour X 12 hours Not counting bathroom,food and gas breaks=72 homes/12 hours but because you are doing 2 pushes per home you have just dropped to 36 homes per 12 hours

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

15 minute nap means another 12 hrs of plowing. Nothing wrong with a snooze in the lot.Just make sure your cell phone alarm is loud enough or you'll sleep to spring.

PS Yes I have a FF IV set up in the truck for those long plow sessions!

5. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

The 15 min nap and coffee that really helps alot!ussmileyflag

6. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I have never stayed out for 2 days strait, there is always time for a little nap somewhere. I would say your figures are about rite, you can get $1200 per event with one truck.

7. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

longest ive done is 36 straight. once you get thru that first night and sunlight comes up your like a new man..

I dont recomend it, and i try not to do it often. but as the owner, i have to make sure all the properties are done and salted the last time before i can head in. if i dont, ill lay down and sure enough the phone will ring, for the stupidest account.

8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I normally stay up for the whole event. the hard part is when you start plowing during the day, then you all night, then you get back to day again and around the 20-24 hour mark of being awake plowing is my wall. If you can make it past that, you just turn into robot and can stay up for a long time. I would try the nap idea but I tend to sleep good so im afriad i wont hear an alarm to wake me up!

Oh and the longest I been awake plowing or ever for that matter was 43.5 hours and Ill never do that again without a break or 5

9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I totally agree with that, starts snowing at like 6am, scramble and salt, then refill with salt, and start plowing and salting. ugh. Day to night to day is the worst in my opinion

10. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

how would you know u havent plowd in years just kidding.

It all depends on route how long the event is, How many guys you work with and how bad do you need it. But its Always saftey first you never wanna hurt yourselfor somebody eles. So get the rest you need the snow can wait. 12 hrs and ur in a groove you can go another 12 easy. 30hrs you start nodding off between sites because there isnt enough action.

11. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

if im out for a while, i take little naps during lulls in the storm. after plowing for 16 hours i get a little loopy. i plowed one storm for 36hours straight and only took an hour nap in the truck and damn it felt good. felt like 8 hours lol.

12. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Sleep is overrated. Back around 2000 or 2001 we got a 21" snowstorm. I plowed 65 hours strait, no naps. I did sleep for about 40 hours strait though when i got home. When i woke up i was trying to figure out where the week went.lol

13. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

.........he woke up and it was 2004. then joined plowsite :D

14. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

the hard part for me is the drive home... i have done 30 plus manytimes..... but that ride home, especially if its dark....... i almost just call friends to come get me... once the action stops , its hard to stay awake

15. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I agree, the drive home is the WORST. I call my brother normally and he keeps me awake.

16. Kingwinter

Kingwinter Senior Member

Dido. When your plowing your mind is constantly thinking about the storm, where your first pass should be, where u wanna stack the snow, when your going to need gas, how long this lot or that lot is going to take, etc. That keeps me awake. Then the constant banging around in the truck help too. Amp helps for a few hours. I wanna try that 5 hour energy this winter.

But when you are driving back to the shop, and then home...... you mind is dead and all you can think about is sleeping.

17. JayMac

JayMac Member

I don't know how you guys do for 2-3 days plowing session either. If it took me that long to get everything done. I would be run off the next year. Everyone wants to be first, and they want it done now. I guess we don't get enough snow here in IND. to have those kind of days.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did you cuddle up with your Enzo doll?

19. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if you have a 2' storm your not going to get everyone done in a timely fashion... but the wont know about it becasue they will be sittin in there house nice and warm while your shoveling in the elements

20. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

well you have to stack your routes...

time to prep...
    presalt/pretreat...
    Plow during the storm
    Clean up , your over night parking lots,
    salt
    Clean up your day time lots... (like apartments, that cant be plowed during the night)
    salt
    then deal with blowing ,drifting and move snow, stacking....

the worst is the storms that start at 5 am, then stop at 2 pm.... you plow all day , plow all night, then go back and clean your day time stuff again....