1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Long to clear 3000ft of road way?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ohman4966, Nov 5, 2008.

1. ohman4966

ohman4966 Junior Member
    from Ontario

Hi guys how long to clear 3000ft of road way approx 30ft wide through out a power plant pretty well all is to be just pushed to the side with a 9ft plow? Thanks for any input in advance

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

10-20 minutes

3. ohman4966

ohman4966 Junior Member
    from Ontario

thats a little too fast its 90000 sqft but the are different road intersecting

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I do a 1/3 mile road, takes about 15 minutes

roads are very fast, no backing up.
    figure 4 passes and you're down

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why don't you drive it and time yourself?

6. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

thats what i was thinking

7. ohman4966

ohman4966 Junior Member
    from Ontario

I would but they are just building it right now and there is machinery everywhere cranes and so forth

8. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

it doesnt have to be that one, just find any similar road and drive it out like you would be plowing it

9. ohman4966

ohman4966 Junior Member
    from Ontario

Its in a power plant and the roads are various lengths and intersections but you are right would give a good indication will have to try it

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Cretebaby is close to right on. I plow private roads. I'll do 3/4 mi road in about 15 minutes with a 9' plow. You've got the equivalent of another lane, so I'd add about 7-10 minutes.

11. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

depends on how fast you drive... i could prob have that done in 10 mins if i wanted to

12. terrapro

from MI

i actually just put in a bid for 1/3mile road with cul de sac for $50. it seems so cheap compared to a comparable driveway but it goes so fast! i even took my own advice and drove it out as i would be plowing (got some funny looks) and it took about 15 minutes including the entrance and cul de sac.

their salt on the other hand is $125 :dizzy:

13. cretebaby

that is about exactly how i just bid a 1/3 mile

14. ohman4966

ohman4966 Junior Member
    from Ontario

ok thanks for the info guys

15. terrapro

from MI

actually i changed it last minute. i spoke with the head of the HOA and we talked the details. i told him cleanup visits within 24hrs would be 1/2 price. he said they dont do cleanup visits its one price for 24 or nothing so i raised his price to $80 before i slipped the bid to them.

16. cretebaby

i never tell them that part LOL

17. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

whatever you believe your time is worth dollar wise; yes..20-30 minutes realistic

18. terrapro

from MI

i was out bid with $36 per visit. so i told them $50 but i will only come once per 24hr period. I will see what he says if anything at all.

19. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What do you do if it snows several hours at a time or it snows.. stops.. and starts again for several more inches? Are you going to wait till a snowstorm of 16" is over? If you told them that, I doubt they'll even consider hiring you.

Have you ever plowed an account like this before?

20. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

On something like this,you really need to consider how much snow you're handling--it's not just about time.Volume comes into play also.You also need to factor in at least 1 way travel time to the job.My .02.