1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long should this take

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CAMP Lawncare, Dec 11, 2006.

1. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

This is my first large account i would like some opinions on how long it should take this is my second year plowing i use a 1/2 ton Dodge w/ a 7.5 on front w/ wings and a 6.5 on back its my other drivers first year (my brother-in-law) he is using a 3/4 ton Ford diesel w/ a 7.5 plow no rear

[​IMG]

2. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

Oh yeah its aboot 160000 sf

3. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Wow....2 trucks/straight blades and I assume walks too?

I'd allow 5-6 hours for that (maybe more) and my experience is it always looks easier on Satellite than it does from the ground.

Thats a pretty involved site.

Hope you get it!

Theres a ton of walks there.

4. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

actually no walks thats done by them and thats fine by me i already have the job I'm trying to figure if I'm doing it quick enough it takes us a little under 2 hours and thats after doing it together twice

5. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Just curious. What are the red lines for?

Chris

6. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

The X is where they want the snow piled the other red lines are to show what not so obvious areas need to plowed i couldnt get a good pic off Google Earth

7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

OK Gotta ya. 2 hours seems good considering how far some of the snow has to go.

Thanks,
    Chris

8. Dragonscapes

Dragonscapes Junior Member

is that 160k sq/ft of parking lot?? or the whole site is 160k sq/ft also are there cars in the lot when you are usually there? if it's 160k of parking lot I'd allow at least 4 hours depending on snowfall that would be a site I would head out to first and just keep under control myself small amounts of snow add up fast on big lots and can turn a 2 hour job into a 3 hour job rather quickly also allowing for yahoo's that see a lot of snow and decide to pull in to do doughnuts pull in front or behind you when your plowing....

9. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

160k is for the whole thing and i so far haven't had vehicles parked it is possible depending on the time. It took me 5 hours by myself the first time i did it that was with about 2.5 inches of wet snow.

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

2.5hrs seems kinda fast, good for your company, but anything under 3hrs sounds like your really pushing those trucks, hope they last all season. Also is that just opening the place up or is that curb to curb?

11. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

Brian

It took me 5 hours by myself in slushy snow With two trucks i cut it to 2 hours that's curb to curb

12. LLM Ann Arbor

Thats cool.....I'd of never guessed under 2, but my time bid was for walks included.

That seems pretty fast to me but if you say so.

What do you get for a site like that if you dont mind me asking.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  13. LLM Ann Arbor

double post

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  14. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

LLm

I would rather not say but i did pretty good for a part timer

15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

You are going to move all that snow where the X is using pickups ? I would guess 5 hours or more on a 4 " snow fall.

16. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Unless he had an 810, then 3 hours. :)

17. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Still going to take a long time, I would look into a skid loader or front-end loader with a pusher for that job.

18. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Just in case you have a large snowfall I'd look to see if you knew anyone with a skidsteer,loader or backhoe for helping you out on loading up the pile of snow where you have the "X" since space with this client may be a big concern.

Anyways good luck on the year and hope you get a few good plows in before spring :nod:

19. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Looks like you have it down pretty well. I would have guessed 4-5 hours with one truck. Alot of the bigger areas can be done quickly. Now you need to convince the customer that they need to be salted after every snow.:nod:

20. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

id say youre fine, 160k square feet isnt alll that much, we have a site almost equal and yeah, if its 1-6" and we're not stacking and piling too much its abbout 2.5 hours, but our open expanse of parking lot isnt as big as yours, it more of goes around a building with big lots on all 4 sides

thats with 2 trucks with 8 footers

happy plower-atin