1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long should this take

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by CAMP Lawncare, Sep 2, 2006.

1. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

How long should this take to plow i think its about 30000 sf i run a 7'5 front and a 6'5 rear on a dodge 1/2 ton any help would be greatly appreciated

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

2-4" light snow with no crubs under 1 hr.
  3. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

hr 45. did you see the loading dock? What about salting?
  4. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

I took a quick drive by at night i will stop by again to get a better look at it. I will offer salt what should i figure on a price for that
  5. firelwn82

what ever you pay for salt x it by 2 or 2 n a half
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Charging for salt. Are you spreading bag or bulk? If bulk do you store your own or pick up each time? These are factors you need to consider before you get to a price or we do to help you.I just got my bulk salt pricing on Friday. I am paying $50.30/ton in US Dollars. So I might tell you a cheaper price to charge then you are actually paying if you are buying 50 lb. bags at Home Depot.
  7. pcs

pcs Senior Member

Where are you getting your salt from?
  8. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

how much salt should it take?
  9. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Tough to tell without being on the property, but personally i would estimate a little high and say it would take 2hrs. I do that just to allowing for any problems that could happen. Seeing as it probably wont take 2hrs, it would still cover your time driving to and from. Thats just my opinion..
  10. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

If I charged 2.5 times the cost of salt here I would spread nothing . No body will pay that.
  11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

It should take about an hour under normal (2-3' of snow) conditions.
  12. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

Epic thanks 5 gallons of coffee i like that
  13. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

wow...i am on the high side of things in our market

my largest account is at $105 per ton amd i do a couple of little 1 ton drops for sites for $130 a ton

Im Paying $37.50 a ton

i would say under an hour to plow also
    and about 1/2 ton on an average salt night
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Industry average is 1 hour per acre with a pickup and 8 ft plow. He's got a 7 1/2' and a back blade so the loading docks aren't much of an issue unless they get blown in. This is his second year of plowing, so I would go with an hour for a 'normal' 2-3" snowfall like Epic said. 1 1/2 hours max.

The only thing bad about estimating too high to cover your costs is you can price yourself right out of the job.

With one of our 550's, 8611 and back blade I would have to guess I could blow that one off in a half hour or less.
  15. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

i bid 65/ per push i really want the work i see what happens
  16. firelwn82

WOW! Is that going to pay for what you spend. Fuel,time, maint?
  17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Seriously, rethink this strategy. Once you start as a lowballer, you get that image in other's minds and it's hard to break out. How will you convince someone you're worth more when they've heard you're cheap?
  18. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

Mick i dont think i will have a problem convincing people that i have upgraded my equipment to provide even better and more timely service and because of that prices have gone up
  19. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Re-look the picture. Were do they want the piles stacked? You've got a number of parking spots, do they want those cleaned after there empted of cars - then you have to come back. $65 buck's for an hour is loooow. Salt == dollars, <4" plow == $105, return for car stalls == $45. Or somthing like this. Sounds like you do not have a salter so, are you walking behind a puch dropped?
  20. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You have to be joking. The customer who hires the cheapest guy around and who now wants to raise rates, will move on to the next one. Customers generally don't care about equipment which they very rarely see anyway. The customer who cares about timely service, wouldn't have hired the cheapest guy to begin with.

There was a guy on here a few years ago who said there are three components to the service industry - Cheap, Good and Fast - pick two, you can't have all three. He was right about that, at least.