1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long should this take?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Erik1981, May 31, 2015.

1. Erik1981

Erik1981 Member
    from MN

I know it's the middle of the summer but we just got the RFP on this...
    A little back story... I past on bidding this last year because I figured that my 2014 F250 with a 8'2" Boss Power VXT wasn't going to be enough. Turns our the guy who ended up doing it had almost identical equipment (just a little older truck).
    I can sub to a loader in big snowfalls.
    Thus I am going to bid it this year. The parking lot is flat and almost wide open and never has that many cars in it. I need a little help on figuring out how much time it will take to push for my equipment.
    looking for times on:
    Less than 2"
    2"-4"
    4"-6"
    6"-12"
    12"+

Thanks for your help!

email_planimeter_20150531180249.jpg

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Would your sub be willing to plow it each time?

3. Erik1981

Erik1981 Member
    from MN

We will plow it generally. I would sub to a loader on snow falls of either 4"+ or 6"+ since it is such a large lot.

4. Erik1981

Erik1981 Member
    from MN

Anyone have some estimates on times?

5. grandview

That's what I mean,have him come in and do the big area and use the tuck for the small areas.this will cut your time down and more profit.

6. Erik1981

Erik1981 Member
    from MN

I see what you mean and will look into that possibility. I'm sure that is something I can workout with my sub. For now though I am interested in how long it would take to plow the lot with my truck and plow. Do you have an idea on that?

7. grandview

With no cars 3-4 hrs maybe.

8. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

That's allot for one truck. A skid constantly on site with a pusher would be ideal not much need for a truck if you had that setup.

9. Erik1981

Erik1981 Member
    from MN

I was thinking that for 2" or less, I assume that's what you are talking about. About 6hrs for 4"?

10. Erik1981

Erik1981 Member
    from MN

I agree that would be ideal, and may even be a possibility but I haven't gotten that far yet.

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Figure on a 2-3in event to do one acre per hour

12. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

You will be there about four hours. Are you a one truck operation? If so I would get another truck for a backup. Unfortunately things fail ay the worst times.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A lot will depend on where you want to push the snow. If you've plowed snow previous years you shouldn't need us to help you figure out time as a big lot is just a whole lot of little lots together. Well until you get 8" of snow and they want it all pushed to the road.

14. Erik1981

Erik1981 Member
    from MN

Last year was our first year plowing in quite a few years, and all I've ever done before was driveways and some roads in the HOA's we service. That's why I needed help with the time on this large lot

15. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How many other accounts so you already do?

16. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Is that 6 1/2 acres?

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Maybe with a Western plow, with a Boss 30min per acre......:nod:

18. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Why don't you tell us what you think on how long it will take YOU and then we will go from there.....:popcorn:

19. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh Please..........I think that thin air you live in has caused some issues......:drinkup:

how-to-make-yourself-throw-up-07.jpg

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The only "air" issue we have it when the wind comes out of the south (Boulder County) and I get cravings for Nacho's or Pizza.........:waving: