1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long is your route

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by qualitycut, Dec 4, 2008.

Tags:
?

How many hours does your route take

1. 0-3

13 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. 4-7

68 vote(s)
    49.3%
  3. 8-11

35 vote(s)
    25.4%
  4. 12+

22 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Just curious what most of your routes take. EDIT 2-4 inches

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  2. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

12-14 hours by the time i get done with the after peak jobs and go back over a few of the commercial places

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

4-5 hrs for my stuff and this yr subbing for my old boss if they need help

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Depends very much on how much snow we get and if any of the other guys get behind or have breakdowns.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

4-5 for me being based only on our first run of the year.

6. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

It depends on the amount of accumulation .payup

7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

My route is about 5 hours depending on weather conditions, amount of snow, time of day all that good stuff. It would be so much easier if we always plowed at night.

8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Sure would... We have 4 routes, again depending on conditions..

we have 4 tight routes, if its snowing hard, we can take care of all 4 usually between 4-5hrs per round.. Problem is that we also have two large places NOT on those routes, but between our office and the site. So for this year, if theyre predicting in NJ say more than 6", ill leave the loader at one of the big sites and either hit the other when leaving to start or on the way back depending on time of the day, hopefully this tactic doesnt fail me.

9. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

On a decent storm, with 2 trucks, it usually takes us 16+ hours.

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Plow routes - 4 to 6 hours

Salt routes - 2 to 3 hours

Like everyone else, been know to repeat, three-peat............based on what you're dealing with.

11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

3 trucks, 8 hours each on a full run, 2-4".

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We can do 2-4" in 4 hours. You guys that are saying 8-12 hours, what the heck do you do when it snows 12". I really can't see having a route longer then 6 hours at 2-4" but maybe that's just me.

13. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

mine is 8-12 but i do a place that opens at 6 am than some don't open till 10 ( drive thoughts ) & a bar 4 pm . thats just me . I all so do drives for old people that don't want out until the day after . so i get to them when I can .

14. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

The question was: on a 2-4" snow. What do you consider a "decent storm"?
    For that matter, who is waiting 16+ hrs for someone to show up?
    For us it's in the 4-5 hr. range. If it's 4-6" it's still about the same time. With bigger machines it still pushers like nothings there. Then again, 1" of wet sticky slush pushes about the worst.

15. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

On a 2-4'' fluffy snow 5hrs and 2-4''heavy snow6-8hr depends on the time the event starts,but usually done by 8 am max.

16. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Like others have said, we've got a good mix of opening times.

We got 8 banks that need to be done by 6 am, about 8 strip mall places that need to be done at 7 am, a couple of gas stations that need to be done by 4 am, restaurants that open for lunch by 10 am, and then the apartment buildings and hotels that get done once everyone leaves for work / checks out, so after noon, but before 4 pm.

Also a couple of mid sized (200 parking stall) industrial places, with no foot traffic other than employees, so if we can't get them done before they open on a 2" snowfall, we just clear the dock areas and then come back and finish.

They're on board with this setup and are priced accordingly.

If it stops snowing at 4 PM, they're the first ones to get done, but if it stops snowing at 4 am, then they're the last to get done.

We usually don't get snows that are more than 1" per hour, so if it's going to snow all day, we go through and plow everyone open at every 3-4", and then a curb to curb at night, before they open.

17. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

My route use to be really long with a bunch of driveways, mostly seniors that didn't need to be plowed right away with a couple inches of snow. With my current route of just commercial 4" takes about 6 or just a little less. Then again a few hrs for clean up at night depending on what takes place durring the day.

18. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

2-4" Snow Event-
    Night time commercial-
    3 Bobcat Routes- 4-6 hrs (plus 1 backup machine if the going gets tough)
    3 Plow Truck Routes- 4-6 hrs
    1 Loader and 2 Dump trucks- 6-7 hrs (plus subs)
    Daytime Commercial-
    1 Bobcat Routes- 6-8 hrs
    2 Plow Truck Routes-5-7 hrs
    1 Loadr and 2 Dumps- 5-7 hrs (plus subs)
    Daytime Residential (starting at 4:30AM)
    2 Bobcat Routes- 9-12 hrs
    1 Plow Truck Route- 9-12 hrs
    3 Shovelling crews- 9-12 hrs

Route times vary with operator experience, drifting, etc.

19. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

On a 2"- 4" snow, it takes us about 24 hours. We have a great mix of customers and that allows us to get everyone done before they open. Most of our customers need to be done by 730 am, then we have several restraunts that don't need to be done untill 930 am, then we have a handfull of apartments that ask we don't touch them untill late morning so everyone can leave for work, then we have a number of churches that can be done after all else is finished.

Bossman

20. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

4-6 hours depending on drifting as I have some that are in the open areas and drift all the time. Last year to make a full curcuit would take about 10 hours so this year I cut back a bit. I have a few resi. but mainly have apartment complexes(day time is better to plow) and businesses (evening is better to plow).
    I forgot about the churches. I do them last as I do it for free. So add another 1.25 hours for that one.