1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long have you been in business? What else do you do?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by burtle, Jan 3, 2016.

1. burtle

burtle Member
    from USA

How long have you been in the snow plowing business?

Do you do lawn care on the side or what else do you do?

2. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I've been clearing snow for I believe 6 or 7 years now (no plow). In the other months I am a deck contractor and own a business for that.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Been in snow for 20 years +/-. Have also been a union carpenter for 20 years or so, but have had a overhead door business now for the last seven or eight years.

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Own ice cream shops and a concession company in which we work outdoor festivals such as county fairs and music concerts. Been plowing for 9 years now and i still love it .

5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Plowing 8 years, 7 myself, last 5 completely on my own. During summer I make hay and sweep.

6. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

This is my 10th year doing residential snow, finished my 6th year landscaping, mostly maintenance, solo.

7. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

This will be my 5th year doing snow removal. In the summer I do landscape maintenance. I am also fire fighter in my town.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Lol, most of my equipment has been in service longer than you guys have been plowing.

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

19 years plowing. Landscape contractor is my other hobby

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

or alive.:drinkup:

11. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I'm pretty proud of myself for where I am at 25 years old. I made some STUPID mistakes my first 2 years in business (some with snow, most with my deck company) and am glad I could push through that and still am able to learn today.

Since I'm not sure if I've sad it much, you veterans on here really helped out my business in the beginning and still today. For that I want to thank you.

Now that the mushy stuff is out of the way, can we please get a little more snow so we can make some money. My savings is starting to tell me that I won't be getting my small skidsteer or mini skid next year for the decks.

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No kidding, ya old fart.

13. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

Been plowing since I was 13-14, father took me out of school every time there was a storm and I drove our f450 plowing Stewarts airport here in ny. Dropped out at 16 and went to work full time for him, plowing and sealcoating. Now 23 and gonna buy the line striping from him in the spring and start my own business

14. citywide

citywide Junior Member

This is my 3rd year plowing... also own a two-way radio shop / warning light installation... also a part time fire dispatcher and Auxiliary Police officer.

15. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

6th year of plowing commercially, about 15 years plowing total. Owning and managing apartment buildings and strip centers are our main business.

16. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

Over 30 years licensed general contracting (residential, commercial & industrial) - as the main operation. Residential plowing since 2008, after started doing my own property.

17. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Started in 1979. This would be my 36th year. Use the front of the truck for snow plowing. Use the back of the truck for junk removal.

I also work in catering for someone else part time. Started in 1971. This is my 45th year. Looking for 5 more years in catering so I can say that I did it for 50 years. Don't ask me how many times I have been fired.:D

18. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Landscape service for 14 years plowing commercial for 4

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Hoping to be in the business soon.

20. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Lol, didn't realize how many newbies there were