1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long for this lot?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by odd1or2even, Dec 15, 2010.

1. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

I have the following equipment to use to plow this lot (not all three will be here of course but that's what I have to use all of which are Boss plows).

9.2" V
    8.2" V
    7.6" Straight

My questions is, about how long do you think it would take to plow this lot (what you can see in the picture. Do you think that roughly a ton of salt would be needed to cover that lot? Thanks for your time and consideration... I'm estimating with a 2-4" snow storm, that it would be about 2 hours to plow with an 8'2" Boss V plow.

2. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

hr. tops with 8'r on 4" snow or less
  3. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

Agreed, looks like less than an acre. Maybe 4-500 lbs salt at the most.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

3/4 acre maybe, 45min to plow and 3-400lbs of salt

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

I am coming up with less than 3/4 of an acre. With any one of those plows your looking at no more than 45 min- 1 hour tops and no more than 350-400lbs of salt
  6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Yea I would say close to an hour to plow it, as for how much salt you will need, it depends, if it's bare pavement salt will bounce off the pavement and go further. But if there is 1-7/8" of snow, then it'll take more.
  7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

45-50 minutes MAX up to 6" or so

two hours?????????????????

that's a simple small lot, nothing to move around, very little backtracking and no backdragging.

easy peasy
  8. Id also hafta say 45 min +/-. That lot is a piece of cake, not many obstacles, ability to stack just about anywhere, hell give me about 50 like that I'll trade ya mine anyday lol. Gotta say though if ya hafta ask a question like this....................ah nevermind.
  9. Green Feet

Green Feet Member

Isn't the purpose of this site, to ask questions?
  10. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Yes it is. However for whatever reason our newbie NPMinc thinks all questions are directed to him personally. I don't know how the site survived so long without him/her :rolleyes:
  11. For Christs sake I was joking, get your panties out of a bunch! if you notice I did offer my opinion on how long it would take.
  12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I agree with these guys, bid it an hour plus about 5-600lbs to cover your butt on salt incase. If it's far from other lots you have, add a travel surcharge into the price. Time traveled could be time plowing elsewhere. If it's close, then you're right in line with an hour.
  13. Oh yeah and Toby what I was going to say is that if you are asking this question one can assume you are probably new to plowing, so if you are planning to use the time guys are telling ya for a bid be cautious about it, because it will probably take ya longer. A lot that may take an experienced guy 45 mins may very well take a newbie 2 hours till they get the hang of it.
  14. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Please try to remember that everybody here was a newbie once. :nod:

All I am saying is try to leave your arrogance out of the discussion. I believe that the OP knows whether he is a newbie or not. No need to try and belittle him/her because they are new to the industry and don't share the same experience as others here on the site.
  15. toby understood, just for the record i wasn't trying to be arrogant if it came off that way it was unintentional. Lol my friends tell me I have often have the male version of PMS which is GOMS, Grumpy Old Man Syndrome. Lol problem is Im 39 and don't consider that old but I guess running your own business does age ya a bit. Have a good day!
  16. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

this won't work
    if you bid at 2 hours because it takes you two hours
    but everyone else bids it at 1 hour because it takes them one hour

guess who is going to win the job??

the job is worth what the market says it's worth, what it takes YOU to do it isn't relevant.
  17. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

Thank you for your responses... I personally was thinking along the lines of 1 acre is about an hour of plowing but my other driver was saying closer to two. I have other lots that have obstacles all around and it takes longer to move the snow around to get it where I need it to go.

Now this lot that you saw is one of the easiest but I'm concerned about the length of trying to plow the snow being about 200 feet long. I was just concerned that with 4" it would take a long time to move the snow the length to the edges. About how long would you think to plow off 4-8" then from 8-12"?

Thank you for your consideration and your time on helping me.