1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Long Does It Take You To Put Your MM2 Plow On?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mercer_me, Dec 3, 2010.

?

How Long Does It Take You To Put Your MM2 Plow On?

1. Under 1 Minute

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. 1 Minute

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  3. 1 to 2 Minutes

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. 2 to 5 Minutes

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. 5 to 10 Minutes

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. 10 to 20 Minutes

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. Over 20 Minutes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. It takes so long, that I put it on in the Fall and I take it off in the Spring.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I found out real quik that if your plow is just a hair lower than when it was when you took it off it gos on hard. The first time I put mine on it sunk down in the ice just a little bit and I had to fite it for over 20 minutes. So, now I put it in the garage and I can get it on in around a minute.

2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Or if your not on a level surface.:realmad:

3. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

4. mercer_me

Them old Speed Casters are alot faster and easier to hook up.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

NOPE... I had a speedcaster

6. Mass4x4fun

Mass4x4fun Junior Member

Speedcaster is much faster! I run 1 MM2 and 3 speedcasters for 10+ years and the speedcaster wins hands down.

7. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

About a minute or so if I line up correctly the first time.

8. mercer_me

I also found the Speedcasters are alot faster and easier to hook up.

9. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I think you guys are nuts. I remember my speedcaster.......... climbing under the head gear and banging my head off the headlight on the way up, pins that would slip......back under the head gear to bang my head again only now my pants are soaked from kneeling down. MIGHT take 1 minute to line up right but less than that to pull a lever and lift the jack. MM2 system is way better than any speedcast I owned. And that's outside on somewhat level ground but not perfectly level ground. The key is when you unhook to put the jack up one more notch for easier hookup next time.

10. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

God, I loved the ole speedcaster but in no way did it unmount fast. I always had trouble with those damn hoses. The quick connects would freeze, get crap in them, and were always slippery. It was quite heavy duty though and all hydraulic! My MM2 goes on in like 45 sec, i promise. First trick is when you unhook, push the headgear back towards the truck when locking the jack down and get that extra hole up. The second trick is when hooking up, tip the headgear forward a bit away from the truck before driving into it, then when lined up push the lever and push the headgear to lock. Took me awhile to learn though. My first time took me 45 min i swear to god lol.

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I feel like the old speedcasters were an all day job for 2 guys. Then you'd leave them on all winter.

I don't think the MM1's or MM2's are hard at all. They have their tricks but so does every other plow brand. Plus no faulty switches or hydraulics to rely on.

12. mercer_me

The speedcaster were simple IMO.
    All you had to do was -
    1. Drive up to it.
    2. Hook chain to lift piece.
    3. Lift the plow so the pins on the head gear lined up with the holes on the plow.
    4. Release pins. You may have to "jiggle" the plow a little to get the pins to engage.

You sound like the Fisher sales video. HAHA

13. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

my dad can put speed cast on in 5-10 mins depending on the weather, he drives in to it, uses a shovel to lift up plow then put pins in to place then backs out.

14. mercer_me

I just put my 7.5' MM2 on tonite and it took about 2 minutes from the time I got out of the truck to the time I got back in the truck.

15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I know LOL. I don't know, maybe my neighbors were idiots (they were) but it always seemed like a pain for them.

I've just read a lot of threads of switches not working on Boss's and power hitches getting stuck on Blizzards and my Cousins Curtis' power "arm" (it drags the plow into the mount) snapped off on the first few storms.

16. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I had an old meyer diamond that basically had the speedcaster type head gear. I made a cart for it and all I had to do was roll the plow into place and pin it in. The downfall is that I had to keep the plow on the pavement to not have to crawl on the ground to lock the pins in.

I love my MM2 as I can drop the plow anywhere. I just seem to have a heck of a time lining it up as I've got the old style jack with the binder on the jack. If I'm off at all and I kiss the plow the jack falls. If the jack sinks at all I just use an old steep post to raise the A frame and then lay the post on the A-frame to hold it up while I line up.

I've also got to attach a heavy rubber bungy strap to pull the cylinder down to give me enough slack so when I when I put it on I can push the headgear back easily to lock it and I have enough slack to do it.

17. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I keep hearing about everybodys lift arms not dropping. I've never seem to had this issue, its almost as if mine are "sucked" down lol. Is it possible that their quils could be set too high? Just a thought. Please enlighten me if that is way off base lol.

18. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

You time it yourself ???

I linked this so you can just click on it but check out this video and see what you think???
    "Fisher Minute Mount II Hook up in 30secs Flat"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-wKu1t2jGQ

19. I'm with you R ZR!! Compared to the MM1s and MM2s the Speedcasters were a PIA. Don't get me wrong...I loved the plow and when the conditions were just right, it went on very easily, but there's just no comparison to the ease of mounting one today....

20. 99dodgeramsport

99dodgeramsport Junior Member

my mm 2 is a pain to hook on, but my truck is lifted, plow is not modified. and the head gear flops bad as the little shock that hooks from the headgear to the a frame is broken and gone. so mine requires 15 minutes and a jackall lol