1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how long does it take you to plow all your customers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fentonlawncare, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Fentonlawncare

Fentonlawncare Junior Member

Thought it would be interesting to see how long it takes all of you to plow all your customers out. It takes me anywhere from 6 to 8 hours depending on how thick the snow is.
  2. EquityGreen

EquityGreen Member

We can get done in 7 hours with all of our Rigs going if we are fully staffed. To bad we've only had 4 full pushes this year.
  3. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

We've gotten our times down to about 4.5 hours with 15 trucks going on a good 2"-3" snow. Only takes about 5 hours with 4"-6"...if we have no breakdowns...
  4. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmm, so far no brutal responses.....
    Most will ask which customer is waiting for you to show up 8 hours after it stopped snowing.
    Or at least I am.
  5. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

The one that doesn't care about driving over a couple inches of snow and is told before they sign up that residentials are on the end of our list and will get done as early as physical possible once the commercials are taken care of. The kind that understands their $35 driveway is inevitably not as high of a priority as a $350 lot. The kind of customer that understands the struggles that face small businesses and the decisions that are made to remain profitable, although sometimes unpopular with the common "resident."
    We don't target residential customers. Our route takes about 9hrs with 4 trucks. We have a group that needs done by 4:00am, then a group by 7:00am, a group by 8:00am, and lastly residentials. Our high priority zero tolerance accounts are serviced nonstop throughout the storm. Larger "early open" factories are left throughout the day to accumulate and are cleaned up the next night or at the end of the storm.
  6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

My route takes me roughly 8 hours, a good bit is travel time.

I have the 3 Commercial lots, one residential that needs to be done by 9AM mon weds fri (dialysis patient) and the rest are "weekenders" that aren't usually pressing. If we get snow on a Tuesday, I can wait till Friday if I want. I can't take any more residentials that insist on being done within 3 minutes of the end or by 5:30 AM, but I would take all the weekenders I can get...and maybe 1 more commercial lot if it were close to the others..
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

All depends how long it snows I will tell you tomorrow nite when I get home have 5'' coming
  8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

It all depends on who getting plowed, how long is the plow, and who wants plow priority.

The wife always gets plowed first. :)

9. bosman

bosman Senior Member

Alright, I'll be the first to give the high #. Last "storm" was around 4", snow started around daybreak, we started plowing at 10 am, snow stopped around 3 pm, took about 18 hours with two trucks and had zero complaints. Just added 20 extra restaurants all around the outer belt which add a lot of travel time. I've been able to get all commercial lots done in 8-10 hours and the residentials follow.
  10. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Takes us in the neighborhood of 6 hours on a average snow.
  11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I wish all customers could be this way. Most of the people on my route are this way except for a couple wackos at the very end but they're the type that just stare out the window and know everyones business.
  12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Commercial and residential accounts 4 hrs. Dedicated equipment sites can go as high as 6 hrs.
  13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

4-6 hours on a "normal" snowfall.

Some might run eight with a couple churches thrown in that aren't a priority.

Or upwards of 18. But that was a 16" snowfall.
  14. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Each of our routes take about 2 hours to plow, not including drive time
  15. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Similar to what everyone else has said - 4 hours on small commercial, 6 hours on resi, and up to 6 hours on large scale commercial with dedicated equipment.

On the large stuff, during the final push the lots get cleared well before the 6 hour mark, but the devil is in the details. Trimming out every island, cutting the snow banks along every curb line, etc..
  16. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Our typical time is 4 hours. Some might be in the 6 range, but they probably had isles cleared somewhere around 3 hours. I imagine each customer or market has different expectations. In our market, it's usually 4 hours unless the day is ending and you have all night to work. In that case, they just want it cleaned before morning.