1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long do your plow trucks last?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pdreibels, Feb 26, 2015.

1. pdreibels

pdreibels Member

I'm talking pickups or 1ton dumps. With or without a salter on.

I got an '04 w/ 72k that's getting replaced soon. Trying to make some decisions about what direction I'm gonna go in.
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

About a year sometimes less.
  3. pdreibels

pdreibels Member

This must be you http://youtu.be/NqfLRZvLWic
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Way to hard to tell. To many different considerations
  5. pdreibels

pdreibels Member

I'm not asking how long you think a truck would last ME....I'm just looking to hear what everyone else gets outta their own trucks
  6. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

With the number of '80s-era trucks I still see going with snowplows... 30+ years must be the answer.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have a '99 F550 that I rehabbed a couple years ago. Full paint job, new stainless dump box. I think it has around 95K on it.

I have a '00 F350 that I rehabbed a year and a half ago. New to me box, new doors, full paint job. 172K I think. I was running that for the first part of the year until my Ram got plows on it.

But it depends on the history of the truck and the engine. I'll run my 7.3s until they rust apart, rebuild and start over again. My 6.0s were crap and unfortunately, still have one.

No idea how long the Ram will last with all the electronic and emissions crap. But it is nice.
  8. pdreibels

pdreibels Member

Truck I'm considering replacing is a 04 f250 5.4 w/ 72k. Currently has leaking manifold(fixed once already), burns oil, loses coolant somewhere, needs new shocks all around, gas gauge stopped working, 4x4 doesn't light up on dash, body doesn't have much of any VISIBLE rust but the underside is getting pretty rough. It has been a plow truck it's whole life. I bought in '10 with 21k on it but don't know how it was used/abused before that.
  9. ShaneysLawnCare

ShaneysLawnCare Senior Member

We dont like keeping them more then 3-5 years but I do know that the people I sell them to are still running them. but in 3-5 years all trucks see anywhere from 125k-185k miles only exception are F550's they are normally around 100k
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Farther up North the less time salt will eat it away. Mine lasted 10 yrs with 65k on it.
  11. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

02 F350 with just under 200k. Here in the rust belt gotta through body parts at it on occasion. Don't think I will ever get rid of it.
  12. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

How long?

Too many variables. Here's my experience. Older trucks are built better, cost less to repair.

I have 2 30 year old trucks that don't cost me $3k/ year to maintain each.
    They get about 9k miles/year each.
    I'm 44 years old, I plan to run them until I retire.

We plan to replace sheet metal and boxes as they age, but even if we spend $7-10k:mechanic: to totally re do a truck, it's still cheaper then buying new.

I didn't go into business to shuffle money from my customers to the bank, or to impress people I don't know.http://www.plowsite.com/images/smilies/mechanic-smile.gif
  13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Is that the plow or the truck?
  14. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

My oldest is 1996 Dodge 1500 with 142000 miles on a 5.2 Auto. One transmission at 96k, Nothing else big done to it. It had just about had it, rust by steering box will kill the frame in the next year or two. I have a 2000 southern truck with no frame rust, so I might be making a "NEW" plow truck. Just can't see spending 40-50k on a new one.
  15. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

The right truck will go forever. My 99 has almost 200k on it, I bought it in 2005 with 60k on it, put a new plow on it and it towed my mowers and plowed since, basic maintenance and one transmission. I bought my new truck this year but still use the '99 quite a bit. A Chevy 6.0L will go forever, like the Ford 7.3 or the 5.9 Cummins. I'm gonna rehab the '99 though because of rust.
  16. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

As with anything mechanical, with the right maintenance, and treating it not too roughly, it should be able to go for a very long time.
  17. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Here's my 83 I setup. Still looks and runs great! 2WD, no AC.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  18. pdreibels

pdreibels Member

That is a nice lookin Ford.
  19. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

We have an 03 ram 3500 that's still going today just fine. It shows its age, and it needs a new bed, but it's still a great plow truck. And it's had a spreader since day 1.
  20. Grump1

Grump1 Member

My father has a '96 F250 he's had since new, worked it hard nearly every day it's been around. 8' fisher MM since day 1.
    Frame has been oiled for years and is rust free. Front axle, being a 2 piece housing? Cracked and needed b replaced, though we were warned by other ford owners this would happen.
    It survived me plowing with it in my early 20s and even my sister using it to run around in occasionally. Tough to say the least. wesport
    It presently has a v box spreader and 8' Fisher, with a limited FARM use inspection sticker, and we use it in local subdivisions for sanding.