1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Long do you wait?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Young Pup, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I was wondering How long do you guys wait till you follow up on a bid that you put out. I gave them the bid on Friday the 15th so I don't want to push. I was going to call on Weds of this week. Is that too soon? Or just wait till I hear from them. This is my first big commercial bid so I don't want to push it so I was just wondering.

Thanks,

JP

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would not wait to long or they may think this job is not important to you.
    wednesday would be a good time. Sell yourself, be a little pushy. Good luck!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

A residential, I'll usually have when an answer when I meet with them. On my bids I have the following seperate line:

Note: This proposal may be withdrawn if not accepted within 20 days.

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

EXAMPLE: If I submit a commercial bid before the 15th of the month, I have it due by the end of the same month. If I submit the bid after the 15th of the month I have it due by the 15th of the next month. This is standard for all bids submitted before November 15th, anything after that is due by the end of November regardless! I close my bids with " Please accept or reject this bid by ___________" All my residential I have an answer by the time I leave. pumpkin:

5. Young Pup

Thanks for the help on the part of proposal being withdrawn by date. They actually called today and said I was to high. It was for year round maintenance of the property. The summer part was the part that was high. I was told I was over the current guy by 1500. Here I thought I was lowballing this thing.Which in by no means was I doing it on purpose. First time bidding on a yearly contract. That was just a feeling that I had. Sounds like the like the snow part though. I spoke to him several times here in the past hour. Hey Live and learn and move on. Right.

Thanks for the help and advice.

JP

6. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Hang in there buddy! Maybe next time! :waving:

7. Young Pup

Thanks Boast.

JP

8. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Heres another example that i use and works pretty well: " Please return SIGNED proposal by November 1 to guarantee our services." This way it gives the client the idea that i need to know by that date or there may not be room for them on the schedule. I did have one church go with another contract 3 years ago, halfway through the winter i got a call from them and they told me that they were not getting plowed and signed up with me after there bad experience, They've been my client ever since! :nod:

9. VALLEYWIDEPA

VALLEYWIDEPA Member
    from pa

YOUNG PUP what are your current lawn care rates for commercial i was told it was $0.007 a foot yes i did say $0.007

10. Young Pup

That seems a little low. But you need to remember that it will vary depending on your region. I am sure you are a member of Lawnsite. com. I would go on that site do a search for square footage and you will come up with pages of information. But around here it depends on who you talk to. As low as your but some has high as0.015. Like I said go to lawnsite. A wealth of information there too. How I lost this bid was due to the amount of visits I had planned on hedges, sidewalk edging. I was told today they only did the hedges one or two times this year. You better bet I am going by next year to look at this property. I had scheduled 5 visits for that alone.

JP

11. VALLEYWIDEPA

VALLEYWIDEPA Member
    from pa

HEDGES I DO 3X A YR ONCE EVERY 7 WEEKS