1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long do you "MAINTAIN" your lots after the storm ends?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Maleko, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

My contract says 48 hours after the storm has ended.

I have some lots that arent pitched very well and as the temps get warmer during the day the snow melts across the lot then freezes at night so im always back at night and or in the morning salting those spots and cleaning where cars may have been parked.

I dont like keeping salt in the sander for more than 2 days after the storm unless one is coming a day or so after.
    Just asking because there are alot of guys here that clean up after the storm and dont go back even if it is still icy.
    I just am OCD about leaving snow where something was parked etc... I have to go scrape it even if its after the 48 hours...
    Just wondering what your guys general system is.
  2. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Once and done upon storm completion, returns, extra salt is all $$
    48 is too long
  3. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Maleko, are you saying you only get paid once for a storm that lasts for up to 48 hours?
  4. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

I,m the same way, but I have a "by the hour - zero tolerance contract", so I don't mind so much.
    Unless of course I've been up for 36+ hours then I start getting a little "testy"
    Maybe you can add a separate clause so you can be compensated for your time and material.
    Most people don't mind paying a small premium for exceptional service
  5. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I get paid each time we plow. If we finish, and it starts snowing, or has continued to snow, we get paid ro do it over....unless the customer tells me to hold off.
  6. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

99% of the time I just have too go back within the same day to just clean where some cars were its that one percent that I have to clear any remaining snow
    Yes I do charge every time I apply salt. The 48 hours is to clear where cars were
    I should have been m ore clear in original post.
  7. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

No my contracts are priced per inch.
    Then $45 per inch any more than 9.9 at the 9.9 " rate
    Then a flat rate per salt application
    It works well for everyone.

So if the storm was 4" and it's over I'm responsible to clear the snow of that's storm upto 48 hours meaning were cars may have been. Every time I have to apply salt It is a added charge
  8. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

No matter the time, if you planned, estimated, and bid accordingly, there should be no dispute over how long after the storm you are obligated, morally or contractually, to follow up.

Seasonal contract- It's all on you, unlimited visits, lest you wrote it otherwise.
  9. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I see.....if there are cars in the way, we plow around them and that's it. If we go back to clean-up, we get paid for that too.
  10. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Responsible for 8 hours after storm
    Call backs for cars to be moved is $75 an hour min 3 hours
  11. cdsnow

cdsnow Junior Member

We do ice watch to all commerical sites if we know there is melting and re-freeze issues days some times weeks after anytype of event. We also try to stage piles in areas that melting is not going to affect any foot or car traffic. This is one of the most important details to be put into any contract or ageement with customer. That OCD thing is what will put you a step ahead of your competition.
  12. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i am paid per push or by salting regardless of how often it need to be done for the season. maintenance is a big part of my contract agreement. They want their lots clear and signed a contract for that reason.
  13. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I wondered the same thing so I went seasonal-zero tollerance. Now the ball's in my court.
  14. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

We plow,cleanup and shovel as soon as the storm is over. Then I usually go and check the lots early in the morning for cars that were moved or for salting.
  15. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

If the storm ends during the day, I plow the lots and do the side walks. A copple of places they move the cars for me, The other places i go back after hours and clean up the lot. I charge a clean up fee for sending a truck out for that... Sand all lots after storm is done..
  16. schmol

schmol Senior Member

Usually for storms that end during the day we plow as best we can on our commercial lots. We call it quits by 5 or 6 pm and come back in at 2 am to do a full cleanup on all the commercial stuff. Driveways usually only get one plow out on a 3" or less storm once the snow has stopped. I go out every morning at about 5 am just to do a drive around and see if anything needs a touch up here or there if we've had active weather in the last couple days. Our town is very competitive with the snow removal game, so we have to be make sure we really take care or our clients. If we don't, another outfit will!
  17. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

I'm seasonal so it might be different.
    On a normal snowfall commercial lots get plowed before they open and a revisit when they are closed.
    Seasonal salt sites get visited every 2 days regardless.
    48 hours seems long to me.
    I service two very busy 24/7 McD's and by the time we are done its 99% clean.
    Seems to me you need to tie in late clean ups with a required " spot" salt application.
  18. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

You can bill clients for zero inches? That's pretty awesome..
  19. schmol

schmol Senior Member

What do those McD's look like throughout the day though? We've had a couple really good storms this year and if we left some stuff unplowed all day long people would have been driving through 10+ cm's. we plow our Walmart and if the customers can't push the carts through the lot to their cars we get a call from the manager.....
    We have a very tight route, so doing a drive around in the morning only takes 30 mins tops. That includes a stop at Timmies:)
  20. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

McD's usually get a mid afternoon visit before supper rush.
    Usually in decent shape if not mint.