1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long do you leave salt in your spreader after the storm?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Maleko, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Just wondering what you all do. I usually leave it 2 days, incase of refreeze and when i have to go back to clean up where people had their car. After that its out.
    Its just a OCD thing with me i have to empty it and wash it totally out and re lube and coat the chains etc..
    Entire truck gets scrubbed top to bottom after every storm as well.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I wash mine out the day after the storm unless it's sub zero
  3. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

As soon as its back from saltin its washed out.
  4. procut

procut Senior Member

I usually don't let mine sit with salt in it. If I don't use it up on my last lot, I back up to the pile and turn the auger all the way up and the spinner all the way down and spit it back out.
  5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Yeah, one of my guys has come back from salting 2 times with salt in the hopper. I just cant seem to get it in his head to empty it on the pile if you dont need as much as you put in.

Had some freeze and bridge on me on the 1-20 storm. I was the one spreading salt... guess who just ordered a man's vibrator. :laughing:
  6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

it seems like if it stays in the 20s they are fine, bouncing up and down with the 30s and condensation causes problems
  7. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

We also back up to the pile and empty the spreader after every storm.
  8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Till it snows again
  9. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Always spun it out at the end of the event....
  10. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Wow, you're a better man than me in that dept. I do empty after every time, actually spread it on lots perfectly till gone. (Use same amount usually, know what to load)

But washing the inside out is impressive and relubing......I used to but quit quite a few years back I thought I was causing more bad than good with accelerating rusting by adding so much water into the system. In fact I have went to the other extreme and try to keep all moisture away from spreader at all costs, all year, until its hanging from my skidsteer getting ready to put it away for the year. I guess each way works for each of us...
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  11. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Just a tailgate spreader here...but as soon as the storm is over, inside and out gets washed. Anything that moves gets hit with white lithium grease and the whole metal frame gets sprayed with aerosol silicone. The back bumper and tailgate of the truck get the same attention, and the whole truck gets washed as well.
  12. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

we never leave it loaded . load as you need it . imagine a load of salt on top of you for 2 days . yikes
  13. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We refill all the trucks that can park inside immediately after a storm/salt run and then park them inside. Ones that don't fit inside get emptied into the bin immediately after use.
  14. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

he probably meant 2 hours
  15. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

I have equipment OCD so after the event is over it gets pulled inside, sprayed out, washed with a vehicle brush and heavy duty truck soap. After that I get a bottle of degreaser and spray the entire inside and outside and wipe it down with a towel make sure to get all the little hiding spots. After that I grease it up and get it ready for the next run. Sounds stupid but I like it to be clean and ready for the next event. Also gives me time to notice and problems with it and I also enjoy cleaning vehicles and stuff so I find it relaxing to do.
  16. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Depending on the forecast, I'm similar to Longae. Lots of little snows this weekend, so I load and then all the trucks are in a heated shop, hasn't been a problem. Normally the trucks are back empty.
    The washing each time is up in the air for me. Felt like the more I washed, the bigger the problems with salt creeping into every little nook & cranny. But, they will get washed and then oiled down within the week.
  17. rubbertrack

rubbertrack Junior Member

My 3 yard byers has been loaded since 12-19-11 and is now half full tarped and green salt, no snow here east cincy. hopefully get it emptied out in the morning.
  18. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

i keep one loaded all winter in the heated shop, but do grease the bearings and oil the chain after every storm. backed it in the shop i put a floor jack under the hitch to take the weight of the springs. works great i don't have to warm up the loader at 2am in a freak event and wait to load just start and go .
  19. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Our 1.5 yd stays loaded till its gone. takes about 4 pushes to empty, the 5,000 lb air bags relieve a lot of stress. it also sits inside a heated shop. i hop in and spray and grease everything before we refill.
  20. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

4 Pushes ? Must be nice to only have to load up once a season huh ?