1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long do you keep your Fisher on?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 05DURAMAX, Dec 25, 2005.

1. 05DURAMAX

05DURAMAX Junior Member

Up in my area I would say about 95% of the plows are Fisher. One thing I notice is that people drive around with their plows days, weeks, after a storm. I see them at shopping centers, malls, restaraunts, etc. What gives? My plow mounts up quick no problems ever. The day after the storm I take the plow right off, along with the weight. The then always wash the plow, and truck. Typically I always spray all the pins with white lithium grease.
    No truck Ford, Chevy, Dodge likes have 700-1000lbs hanging off the front. Why keep the plow on? Lazy?

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

All my stuff comes off either the next morning or that day (if there is light left) after I am done plowing. It is useless to keep it on. I think the 5 minutes it takes me to take car of everything, I will spend that much time and money in extra gas and putting the plow down everytime I shut the truck off!

3. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

plow doesnt stay on very long. Night before the storm i drive into the plow make connections, then in the morning i push the headgear up and latch it. Make my rounds when i drive into my yard after my final round the plow comes right off, dont even go into the house untill its off. Only way it stays on is if there is another storm within 24 hours.
    Evan

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Dont know about Fisher, but my BOSS comes off usually the next day because I usually get phone calls from people wanting to be plowed out. Just my 0.02.:salute:

5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

If its a big storm i leave it on for a couple days just incase someone calls. For the most part i will take it off a day or two later depending on if the weather is nice enough to wash it.

6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Yep. Put it on when the snow starts to fall, and leave it on overnite in case someone calls the next morning. Only takes 5 minutes to attach and remove, so no big deal.

7. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Usually keep it on for a day or two after the storm!(SOME OF THE DRIVES I HAVE HAVE DRIFTING ISSUES) In Mass there was a law past last fall that only allows blades to be on 24 hours before and after a storm! Only really large trucks are exempt from this law and I believe pre 90 trucks.

8. DeereFarmer

douglasl330: I have never heard of that law before. Do you have any more info or links on it? Has anybody ever really been pulled over for this? Why are pre 1990 trucks exempt... because they do not have quickmounts? I would hate to have to go do a driveway three days after a storm or something like that!

9. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Since the plow is a meyer (AKA Pain in the @$$ to put on and remove) and its on my dump truck. I just leave it on since it just sits in the winter. Got other vehicles to use. Unless I am going to used the dump for something else then it comes off.

I also have a few driveways that drift badly. But I usually take my Kubota and blower to handle them.

10. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

same here. comes off as soon as im done and no snow in the forecast.. why put the extra wear on the truck?

11. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

I bought a commuter car in the autumn so I don't plan to take the plow off until spring. I still use the truck for dump runs and other short trips that require it but I don't take the plow off. I think the Massuchetts law pertains to the head gear and was triggered by a fatal side impact accident.

12. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Mine stays on from Mid November to April unless they forecast 4-5 days of no snow. Normally in this area it snows about every day and if its not snowing the wind is blowing causing drifting. Very few take them off during the winter here, if you do you can just about count on some unexpected snow.

13. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

first time out there is a law about headgear on older style plows i know that for a fact. I think it has to be off by april 1st but have never heard about the one douglas is speaking of.

14. The big trucks and the loaders we drop the plows off right after we are done plowing. As for the F-350's up to the F-550 we usually leave the fishers on for a couple days (at most 4) after the storms is over if no more snow is coming so we can do clean up work and scrape the roads form any slush caused by melting. If more snow is coming they stay on. Length the fishers stay on after the storm is also determined on how busy we are after the storm picking up snow around town.
    We have converted all our fisher minute mounts to be permanently mounted on to the truck so the head gear stays on year round. We believe that doing this via welding on some steel plates and some bolts that the head gear is stronger and with stands vibrations caused by plowing roads. We hook all our plows up by carrying them inside with a loader to their respectful trucks(plows numbered to the trucks so we can tell who broke what plow as the same driver drives the same truck every storm) and hook them up that way.Can hook up 12 fishers and 2 large everest plows this way in less than 30 min.
    As for the law in Mass. regarding that the head gear of a plow frame needs to be removed, it is my understanding that we are exempt from this as we are a municipality.

15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I put the blade on either the night before or when I need it- sometimes in the storm. I take it off when I'm done- depends on the storm. Sometimes the day after, sometimes a couple after depending on what the weather is supposed to be doing.

Never heard of the headgear law in this state- next thing you know they will outlaw brush guards and grill guards because they can cause more damage in an accident. European markets already are persuing pedistrian safe vehicle designs since 90% of accidents there are cars and pedestrians (guess they don't think of educating pedestrians about crosswalks...) so they are designing fake grill guards that flex and are just for looks.

16. Jto89

Jto89 Member

I will leave mine on for a day or so but then i take it off becouse of the gas and it is to hard to park at school. also for some reason kids like to write stuff on my plow i came out on day and some kid wrote stuff all over the mold board. luckily it came right off when i washed it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  17. DeereFarmer

I just don't get what people see in doing that? Before I repainted mine, people just scribbled on it with crayons. Not a lot, but enough for me to notice it!:angry: :gunsfiring:

18. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Blades can be on all winter, the 24 hour rule is for early and late storms. The law also pertains only to headgear assemblies.

19. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I remember years ago there being a lot of talk about having to remove heagear because of accidents. As far as I knew it never passed in NH, but the govt was behind forcing all the plow manufacturers to come up with designs that took the headgear off with the plow. Got to admit it is safer. When I was in high school two girls I knew spun out and hit a plowframe on a truck broadside. Both were killed, one by the plowframe. And the guy driving the truck was the father of a girl who knew the two in the car. It wasn't winter time, and they were going so fast they wouldnt have survived anyway, but if they had been going slower on impact I'm sure you can see where a plowframe could make things a lot worse.

I think the reason you see them so long after a storm is probably from force of habit, it is a real Fisher stronghold around here, and the guys who had old Fishers (like me) probably left them on too long because it was such a PITA to remove them. But you can't say it's a PITA anymore. I take mine off right away now, because I know if I get a call and do have to put it back on, its only a minute or so wasted. I removed my whole plow frame the first year I plowed, because it was kind of a show truck and I didnt want it to look like a plowtruck all summer. After that I only took off the top headgear and I had a nice diamond plate step I made with some 6x9 KC lights mounted on it, looked a lot better than a triangle and lights. Would have still cut a car open pretty good, though.
    As far as the pedestrian/car thing that's going on now, I thought that's why people are so soft, so that it won't damage my truck when I hit them.

20. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

That's part of what I don;t get- the headgear on an old Fisher is above the push plates- which are what you covered with diamond plate. Noone would go through the effort to remove the pushplates every year and there would be a terrible uproar if the state tried making them. There's that damaging part IMO still remaining on the truck- at passanger door height for the average car versus the average plowing truck. My Ram's push plates are at occupent leg/midsection height versus a side impact of the average passanger car- going to to alot more damage IMO with those 2 projections than the old headgear.

Maybe they should consentrate on better driver education.....