1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long do you guarenteen you bids before they sign

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by fireboy6413, Aug 28, 2009.

1. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

I am putting together a few bids, how long do you guys guarantee you proposals for after you submit them

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Typically 7 days, but wont turn them away if they call back later. I may charge more, but not turn them away,

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Proposal is valid for thirty days. But wont turn them away, unless something unforseen has happened in that time.

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

We don't put time limits on our proposals. Submitted pricing is good for the season.

5. fireboy6413

Thanks, i put 15 days after date given, I just want to fill spots as soon as possible,

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on the time of year. Typically 30 days unless they call in October or later... Then I shorten it up...

7. fireboy6413

you think I screwed up by putting 15 days

8. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

30 days. I will most likely honor price if I have a position on my schedule for them.

9. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

60 days,or until november 1st, then i will accept, only they get a freeze on the service for 2 weeks - in otherwords don't fax me a contract the night of a storm and expect to get service. i reserve the right to withold service for 2 weeks while i arrange routes arrange for subs/ sidewalk crews,

10. fireboy6413

yeh but do you think I screwed myself by saying 15 days

11. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Not necessarily, really depends on the expectations of the customer. Too late now, don't sweat it, what's done is done. All you're saying is that you'll only guarantee the price to that date, not that you absolutely won't honor it after that date. Not a big deal. I usually honor them anyway as long as I still have room in the routes...

12. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I always honor my bids for the season. That is unless they call in the middle of season during a major storm, then the price goes up! payup

Bossman

13. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Time is an important part of negotiation. You want to make people make a decision. Don't ever put "no time limit". Then they own you, they have the power and you don't.

You might honor the price, you might not 60 days later, but I think you should say "well, I'll have to rebid it, prices have changed"

It's the same reason when you buy a car, they don't want you to leave the lot, make the decision now.

I use 30 days, but 15 doesn't seem unreasonable (although for a big company it may be). That way you can call them at 14 days "hi, I haven't heard from you, do you have any questions, etc. balh blah blah, gives you a reason to call them.

BTW, for snow mine is 30 days or the first snow. No bids are valid after the first snow. C'mon, it's months away, there's no reason for them to wait, it just means they didn't find anyone else and they want to use you now.

14. fireboy6413

Yeh thats why I figured 15 days, if they want to be a shopper, then look else where. yeh ill always take them even if its 90 days from now, but I would rather fillup now then wait.