1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long do you give it.......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigjeeping, Jan 11, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Was talking with a few "oldies" the other day and they gave me a little insight... let's hear everyone's reasons why new businesses go under

RULE OF THREE: most snowplowing/landscaping companies go out of business after three years because:

First Year) You're lowballing and underbidding, getting lots of work (money) with minimal expenses... you're not paying insurance, workers comp, taxes, etc.

Second Year) You're charging more, but have more expenses because you get insurance and are paying some taxes

Third Year) Set up payroll for employees and expenses/taxes go through the roof. You can't make enough to justify the business.

This may or not be true. When I heard this it got me thinking about my expenses. But one thing that is sure.. minimizing expenses = increasing profit!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

In the fourth year when its time to make the money you have to worry about that guy in the "first" yr. taking your money because he's not thinking about the fourth yr. for himself.

3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

You could not have said it any better:salute: I am in the gravel truck business in the summer and most of the clowns buying trucks have little knowledge of driving let alone being a business person. Oh well, its never gonna change.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Failure to plan.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

This may or not be true. When I heard this it got me thinking about my expenses. But one thing that is sure.. minimizing expenses = increasing profit![/QUOTE]

Cut your costs by 1% increase profits 1%. Increase your price by 1% increase your profits by 10%. This is of course assuming you weren't losing money in the first place. Not saying expense management is not critical, we try to be a lean mean profit machine, but if you provide good service and value, a 1% increase will make you more money then a 1% decrease in operating cost.payup