1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long do you expect a new truck to last and is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by LawnjockyS, Nov 8, 2014.

1. LawnjockyS

LawnjockyS Junior Member

There is another thread discussing buying and rebuilding old trucks over new. I don't think that is practical for most but it did add fuel to the fire for my thoughts on future truck purchases for my little outfit.

For the most part I have always bought new trucks with the plan of running them until they drop. Basically 10 yrs with little to no trouble, and then 5 - 10 more years of needing repairs. The trucks get sold when I feel that the repairs and unreliability are getting to be to high. But the times they are a changing. I am noticing a shorter life span before repairs are needed and worse yet many of the repairs are dealer only. Between the upward spiraling cost of new trucks, increased repairs at higher cost's, new is getting kind of iffy.

The hourly cost of a truck is not my biggest expense but it does rank near the top. If I have to increase that number by 50 or 100% it's going to make life that much more difficult.

For those of you that watch and track your expenses are you seeing this to? What do you think? What are you doing or planning to do?