1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how long can you sleep

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ajslands, Dec 13, 2009.

Do you sleep while out plowing

Poll closed Dec 13, 2010.
  1. Yes

2. No

3. Sometimes for the bigger storms

4. i dont know what this stuff you call snow is

1. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

ok so most likely most drivers sleep while there out plowing lots, cuz plowing for 30 hours straight seems kinda hard, so what would be a good length of a nap if you were plowing for some random time like 10 hours straight, that includes you having to do walks cuz you dont have a sidewalk crew. so how long, and should you have a sleeping bag?
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I usually dont sleep. I get out at some times, stretch some and keep hydrated. I never use any of those crap energy drinks or any other thing like that. But I would say, pending the storm, half hour or so would be decent. Now I got the wife learned on how to plow, so I have a back up driver:)
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I will work hard for 18 hours. Come home take a shower and a couple hour nap. wake up and take another shower. feel like I am going to throw up for an hour and then after that I am ready to go for another 18 or so. I finally got over 90% of my work in lakewood so I will be able to get more sleep then I have in the past. Everything in town is within a mile and half of each other.
  4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I am good for about 24 hours straight with plenty of monster and coffee. After that I just cant keep my eyes open anymore. I never get tired plowing its the driving between accounts that makes me tired.
  5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I nap in between pushes ... One Eye at a time.....
  6. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

If I'm going all nite around 5:30 I will take a 15 min nap in the truck and then get back to work for the rest of the
  7. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

We only get "one good storm" per season that requires us to be out for long periods. this past tuesday after noon started a 30hr shift behind the wheel. Came home, puked, took a shower, napped for 2 hours and was back at it for 18hr, came home, showered, slept 6 and then got back on mormal times. Last yrs big one i just pulled into a car wash bay and let the truck thaw out as i took a few hour nappie since visibility was near zero and pointless being out any longer.

I agree, i cut my soda/pop intake to maybe 2 cans a week a few weeks ago, and switched over to straight water, and i cannot believe how drastically better i fell, and during this long run this week, i never got to the point like i had in years past of just being completely wiped out, so i think for me anyhow, that now getting PROPERLY hydrated made a world of difference, i've definately noted ALOT more pep in my step...jsut took a few days to get over the old caffine fix i had, but i'm glad i did. stopped smoking last year, trying to stop soda intake, and next year's goal is stopping the snuff/chew. Getting a lil older and a lil wiser and as macho as i have been, i actually feel much better and have much better stamina because of the bad habits dropping off.
  8. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

:confused: Whats sleep :laughing: i barely sleep anytime snow or not... i just keep my motor running, get out and stretch now and then.. with the occasional hang my head out the window.. lol just stay hydrated and keep light snacks on board.. thats all i need!
  10. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

every night ( when its not snowing) I take a sleepng pill to go to sleep. I can do 24 to 30 hours no problem. I also get my second wind. everytime it gets daylight, so depending when the storm starts I might be able to go almost 2 days before I need a nap. when needed 30 to 45 minutes will usualy get me through.
  11. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I have no problem staying awake for hours plowing. It's when I'm all finished and driving home, that's when it hits me.
  12. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

I feel like **** if i plow for 18 hours then sleep for more than an hour. the key is short 15 - 20 minute naps every 10 hrs or so... one thing that drives me nuts is not being able to sleep the night before because my mind is racing all over the place
  13. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I can go about 18-20 hrs with lots of water and coffee. After that I need about 20-30 mins nap every 4-5 hours to stay "normal". I've gone more than 48 hrs this way. Then crashed for 12 hrs, then up for a day, then couldn't sleep right. I find doing 18-20 and sleeping for about 5 hrs is best, we have enough drivers and supervisors out that we can take long breaks in shifts. Will be interesting to actually sleep while the guys are out.
  14. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Jeez, pull into a carwash bay! That's a great idea! Thanks IHI! :sleeping:

I did a 21 hour stint once and fell asleep in a church parking lot with a blade full of snow, mid pass. Slept REM level sleep for 40 minutes, drool and everything.
    When I woke up, I thought it was the next day. Felt like a million bucks.
  15. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i find that if i sleep, i can't just take a catnap, i really need to crash, so i stay awake, i also stay away from pop and stuff, stick with fruit drinks, water, and trail mix etc. just finished a 26.5 hour stint yesterday, spent all day sleeping today, the longest i have went was a 72+hour straight, for anyone who thinks this is a good idea, please don't do it, my health went for sh!t for weeks after that, never again well i do that to myself.
  16. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I can do up to 36 hours straight before having "issues", but I prefer to come home every 15 hours and sleep for 5. I finally got all my accounts within a 5 mile radius of my house, so it works out very well. I don't think I was out more then 6 hours last year without be able to take a breather.
  17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

After each lot I need a nap.
  18. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Grandview, it must be tough watching your guys plow............LOL
  19. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

How about those crazy halucinations. I always found it interesting how you can be fighting to stay awake around 3-4 am and when 5- 6 am
    roles around i'm suddenly wide awake and good to go
  20. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

Thats the total opposite of me I feel great when its dark out soon as the sun comes up I start dragging and need lots of coffee for my second wind.