1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long can i leave salt in the spreader for and tips on salt dog usage??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by THORNTON, Nov 26, 2013.

THORNTON Junior Member

I just got a Salt Dogg chain drag , electric spreader this year , and I was curious how long you guys leave salt in the spreader for and if it will harden up on you after a certain amount of time? Also im still getting use to controls any advice on what settings to use for the best spread pattern to cover but not use to much salt?? thanks advice tips etc greatly appreciated.
  2. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

This is for types of sanders.
    Try to use all the product and not leave it in the sander.
    Also wash it out and off after every storm and regrease the chain while running it.
    You will find this will keep it running smoothly for years to come.
    And keep the truck running with the electric sander!
    The electric sanders are nice but they will run your battery down really quick if the truck is not running -(I found out the hard way at the car wash my first year with my electric sander)
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's some of the best info on PS

THORNTON Junior Member

I have this installed on a flat bed , the chain seems to bring material back to the front of the spreader in front of the box by dragging it underneath the spreader , I still have not had much luck getting a good spread pattern seems to be a lot heavier in the middle does anyone have any advice for these spreaders on setting etc.
  5. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

I have a western tornado.

I have duel controls on mine for the spinner and chain.

I set the chain at speed 4 and the spinner at speed 5.

I get a spread that covers the road.

If I want it heavier in the middle, I decrease the spinner speed to 2-3.

try increasing the speed of the spinner to get a wider spread pattern.