1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how long before its bad?

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by birddseedd, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

How long will FF last in the can and still be effective?

2. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

I dont think it ever goes bad

3. bob1008

bob1008 Junior Member
    from ma

In its aerosol form, Fluid Film® is guaranteed for one year from the date of purchase. This is due to the propellent and the nozzle.

In bulk form (gallons, pails, etc.) Fluid Film® had an indefinite shelf life.

4. birddseedd

so. here is a question. it seemed to have a yellow tint to it. is that normal? i have had it probably just over a year. i am doing some testing for personal research on its effectiveness as well as some other products and want to be sure its still good.

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Was it ever good?

6. birddseedd

7. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

You result are skewed since you wiped it off.

8. birddseedd

actualy the results are for a more real world test. and more accurate to the claims of the company. the company says that the lanolin will penetrate into the metal. i gave it close to 24 horus to soak in.

plowing can rub off paint. dont you think it would rub this stuff off aswell?

9. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Right, but most people don't coat the front of the plow to keep snow off like you are trying to do. Have you ever tried starting a car after many years of sitting? You don't spray a lubricant in the cylinders in the day before and expect it to work do you? Go there weeks in advance and leave it sit longer than 24 hrs.

10. birddseedd

I did not put Fluid Film on the front of the plow, i sprayed a piece of 1/4 in flat stock and set it outside.

what does starting a car have to do with fluid film? most old school mechanics put oil in the cylinders if they are going to leave the engine set for a long time.

either way, i put fluid film on a piece of flat stock and let it set for 24 hours before rubbing off the access (you caint tell me snow and water hitting it at 70mph wont do the same) before setting it outside. soon as it got wet it started to rust. if i did something wrong tell me. but as far as i can tell. it does not work.

mike

11. OnTheFarm

OnTheFarm Member

You sprayed an aerosol from an old expired and outdated can. You have no idea if the discharge was Fluid Film or primarily the propellent (propane, butane, LPG, etc.), or a diluted mixture of both. I'd say that you should probably leave the scientific testing to a professional lab and stick to whatever it is that you do best. :rolleyes:

12. birddseedd

If it will satisfy you ill buy a brand new can for my next test. keep in mind there is no expiration date. But that is why i started this thread. to find out. but just to be sure the results are accurate. ill get a new can and do several applications of FF for the next test.

13. OnTheFarm

OnTheFarm Member

You don't need to satisfy me.

And from their website:
    "What is the Shelf life of FLUID FILM?
    In its aerosol form, FLUID FILM is guaranteed for one year from the date of purchase"

14. birddseedd

as i said. by their own tests, fluid film will only last 52 days. http://www.fluid-film.com/downloads/ff_brochure.pdf

ill be doing another test with another hydrophobic and ill be buying a new can of non aerosol FF.

and as for qualifications. anyone can do this test. put the product on a clean piece of metal and put it out side and get it wet. its the best test anyone can do.

15. OnTheFarm

OnTheFarm Member

I'm done. When someone removes all logic and intelligence from a conversation, there is no point in continuing the discussion. Good luck in life.

16. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

ok guys, I think those that wanted to weighed in, gave their opinion, tested it, etc. so we can put this one to bed for now

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.