1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Long and How To Plow These Lots?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Welderguy24, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Welderguy24

Welderguy24 Member

Hey everyone, i was lookin at scottL's How Long would you Take??? Thread and it sparked an idea, i was wondering how long it would take you guys and what equipment you would use to plow these lots. These are the some of our bigger contracted lots that i plow for my employer and was just wondering if there were any better ways to do it.

The red outlines which lot we do, and the green dots indicate where we can pile snow. We do all of the side walks around the buildings but don't worry about them, we have a separate shovel crew that takes care of them, were just talkin plow time here. For the heck of it we'll base times on about 4-5" of regular snow, not wet, not heavy, not light, just snow ya know?

Feel free to add pictures of your lots for input, or to tell me this is just a stupid idea :gunsfiring:

Thanks a lot,
    Scott

This is the Champlin Mann Theater off of HWY 169. We use our Kodiak and International in the big lot and windrow to the east and a pickup and skidder in the small lots, takes about 2 hrs curb to curb.

[​IMG]

This is Maple Grove Mann Theater off of I94 and Weaver Lake Road. This lot takes about an hour to an hour and a half done like the lot above, but i have done it by myself in the kodiak with only one mirror in two hours.

[​IMG]

This is Plymouth Mann Theater at HWY 55 (Olson Memorial Hwy) and Vicksburg Lane. We use the Kodiak and International for the whole lot and a skidder to do touch up/clean up and takes about hour and a half to two hours.

[​IMG]

2. Welderguy24

Welderguy24 Member

This is a Recycling/Re-Use Center in Minniapolis off of Hiawatha Ave. We usually just use the skidder in the south lot and a pickup and skidder in the north lot but have used the Kodiak but usually gets in the way. The blue line is a long side walk that needs to be cleared also, usually times out at just under an hour.

[​IMG]

Finally, this is Cherokee Center (Gas Station in NW corner and stripmall covering S and E edges) located on 63rd and Boone in Brooklyn Park, we no longer plow this lot, did it last year (before we had the international). I only plowed this lot once in a 16" storm last year, took about 6 hours with kodiak, 4 pickups, and three skidders. we'd push everything to the west edge of the south lot and take it to piling areas with the skidders.

[​IMG]

3. Groove

Groove Junior Member
    from Boston

1) Champlin Mann: Big, Easy
    2) Maple Grove Mann: I hate islands, I'd expect higher times to clean around all the islands.
    3) Plymouth Mann: Good sized, Long Pushing distance
    4) Recycling/Re-Use Center: If you don't have to pile snow in those areas, you could cut time. Hard to tell from the pictures though.

The time sounds right for the equipment. Since these accounts look spread out, I'd be inclined to look into a 8' box on a skid. You could transport easy and it would help on the long pushing distances. Then again, if you spend 1/2 hour loading and unloading, you may waste the time you would have gained...

4. rredd13

rredd13 Member
    from ontario

NOW THAT I KNOW WERE THOSE ARE ...I AM GOING TO MY JUDGEMENT AND GO LOWBALL THESE LOTS AND GET THEM ....I JUST NEED THE PRICES ON THEM FROM YOU GUYS...LOL:waving:....IF YA LL CAN HURRY I BELEAVE THER WILL BE SOME PLOWING TOBE DONE...WHO WANTS TO SUB- CONTRACT FOR ME ...I MA VER TRUSTWORTHY.....LOLxysport...AND FIRST THINGS FIRST YOU MUST NOT SHOW UP TO MY SITES WITH YOUR BLADE IN THE STRAIGHT POSTION IT MUST BE ANGLED TO THE LEFT AND I WANT TO HEAR NOTHING ABOUT LOWBALLERS ...IM GIVEING YOU WORK RIGHT!!!LOLpayup

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Which lot are you asking about? ( don't say all of them ) What about cars? Are you talking full clean up or just keeping it open. There would be big time difference based on this info as you got some honking size pavement.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Think about doing some radius plowing on the huge areas. You use like 4-5 trucks, plow right or left angled across the parking lot in a line of trucks. Lift the plow and go around going forward the whole time. The advantage is speed, the trucks can go forward in a line sweeping 12-15 feet on a pass minimum. They stay charged up and cooled with more speed. you can move snow from the smaller areas up into the bigger areas to be moved to where they want the snow. Plus people enjoy plowing like this. Your always moving forward and it becomes a Follow the leader chase.