1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long after the storm do you schedule out?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IMAGE, Dec 12, 2008.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

How many of you guys are done just a little bit after it stops snowing? I am wondering because I see alot of guys that talk about being done just a couple hours after the snow, or having a "6 hour route", don't you schedule more work for after the storm so you get more hours in?

My "during the storm" routes are 5-6 hours, but after the storm I have a day of work. I have alot of "after the storm" apartments. I just do "keep open" passes on during the storm, and after the storm I go back and clean them all up. I also have after the storm "sidewalk only" accounts. So even though it stops snowing on sunday, I have a full day of work on monday.

I guess I like it this way, but wondering why all the people I see on here talking about full routes and only a couple hours to get stuff done in, arent scheduling work for after the storm, there is plenty of it.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Not worth my time, I'd rather save my energy, time and equipment for my main jobs. Call ins to me are just a PITA, so I don't do any. JMO

3. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

I totally agree IMAGE.:nod: We do ours the same way - keep up then clean up. When the snow stops for us, it's time to really work then. I don't understand only having 5 hrs. either but as long as each of us is happy that's what counts- "to each their own".

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When the last snow flake hits the ground I'm back home in 5 hrs.

5. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Kind of lucky here, I can hit all my main accounts in about 5-6hrs. I then have a few vacant buildings, and buildings such as churches that are only used once or twice a week. We get the main ones done, go eat, then hit the ones that can be done anytime. The vacant ones are really nice, contract says have to be done within 24 hours! Easy money and no pressure.

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

To many factors to set a exact number.

Salt only? What trigger for what contract? Is it going to mist or flurries so another salt application has to be spread? Clean ups? Break downs? Back up someone who did break down? How is the body feeling? :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

I can be out anywhere from 4 hours to 22 during any given event.

It just depends. :D

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well part of it for me is the ability to get work. I mean I'm fairly new to this type of business, so I have a hard time getting work, just because my name isn't out there yet. But as it is, I'm out for about 5-10 hours after it is done snowing. Sometimes maybe a little more. And my other truck is out about that much time too.

8. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Just finished a 30hr snowfall 34cm/14" storm.
    Started snowing Tues 5am?? and stopped wed 9am.
    Started Tues noon and had men working till thur 10pm , in the end every site(550+) was done 4 times. Direct competion showed up at theirs twice at best. Guys here are already bailing so tons more work flowing in all around stuff I already do. payup
    I charge thru the nose for call ins they're a PITA. Usually when they call its cause there is 2 ft of snow to deal with and a 5ft ridge. jmo

9. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like you have it easy!!! .....for an ol'man :D :drinkup: :waving: :waving:

10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Not Call ins. Actual scheduled stuff.

I have alot of apartments that I do the sidewalks and parking lots. If the storm calls for only one service, I usually will do the sidewalks while we are there doing the lot. If the storm calls for more then one service I will save all the sidewalks for last, the day after the storm. Also at the same time we will do a clean up service for the parking lots. So the parking lots get billed 2x say and the and the sidewalks billed once.

Even if it is a place with no sidewalks, I will just do what I can during the storm, and come back after the storm, when the cars can be scheduled out of the parking lot, to do a final service.

11. schmol

schmol Senior Member

The company I work for has a 2" trigger on most accounts and a couple with zero tolerance. We go out during the storm and keep plowing throughout the storm regardless of what time it is supposed to stop. We generally go for 16hr stretches at the most, crash for a couple hours then get back at it. We do a fair ammont of commercials, so getting them cleaned right up is not possible the same day as the storm. We do what we can during business hours then go back out around 3 am to clean everything up and haul out if necessary.

12. jhakarter

jhakarter Member

quick question, say apartments, perfect example, you go thru to keep the lot open on a storm of 8inches, then go back after and cleanup. Say you go once during the storm to keep open, and then once after to cleanup do you charge them 2 times or 2 hours worth or how are you guys doing this?

13. schmol

schmol Senior Member

It depends if the contracts are per push, per hour or a flat rate for the season. We keep very detailed records of what equipment was there, who was operating it, and how long we were there. We are one of the two largest snow removal outfits in a smallish town, the snow removal biz is VERY competitive, so we keep everyone happy no matter what.