1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long after plowing do you pay your subs?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ahoron, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

I plowed on december 15 and on new years eve/day and have not been paid yet. My question is should I have been paid by now? I would like some input from others before I call and ask why I haven't been paid yet. Monday I asked two of the other subs one said he got paid half and the other has not gotten anything yet. The one that got half tried to assure me that it is normal and I would get paid.Is it normal to not be paid after a month?

2. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

You should have discussed those details before you did work. I pay my subs within 3 weeks of service if not sooner. If I were you I would give the guy a call and discuss it with him.

3. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

All the guys that plow for me know it will be 30 to 40 day at the very latest. I been paying them about every 25 right know except the new guys I hire on this year and then let go, Funny thing is we discused that before he came aboard, my biggest pieace of advise is if you do not know them from adam have them or yourself at least write up a contract about your liabilty's and payroll payments with price per hr or job!

you sould have been pay by know by small or large company!!

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

shovel guys get paid at the end of the storm.
    plow/tractor guys get paid within 2 weeks. If I can, they get paid at the end of the storm too.

5. ironsales

ironsales Junior Member

I try and pay all my subs walk guys or drivers by the end of the storm, depending on when the storm ends and where they are. Or catch up with them during the week. I have found that the sooner they get their money the happier they are. And are more dependable when you need them. People will make an effort to help you out when you treat them right.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Subs get paid monthly, full and part time, every other thursday.

7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Exactly the same for us. We have two subs that get paid net 30, and our part time and full time get direct deposit on Friday at 12:01 am.

We also have a one week holding period for the first week that people work, so that we have a week to play catch up, we have to do that or paperwork would be impossible.

8. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

When I subed out work I always paid them within 2wks, if not, 3wks max. If your subbing for someone the contractor should have enough cash flow to pay (float) all his subs until he gets paid. If he's relying on the accounts to pay him first then pay his subs, he's gonna have a lot of pizzed of ppl.

Back in the day when I was a sub I always made it clear to the contractor that I expected to get paid within 2wks. I'd let 1 more wk pass by, if I didn't have a check by wk 3 I was gone. If it snowed and he was expecting me to be at a certain place to plow and I still didn't get paid, I wouldn't show up. What comes around goes around.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Paid monthy too

10. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

On the 15th and 30th..or every two weeks

11. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I know some guys who dont get paid till the end of the season...

Subs are to bill us on the 30th of the month and we cut checks on the 15th of the Month. So the lateest that would get checks would be 45days.

12. polplow

polplow Member

same day services are provided

13. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

If your subbing for someone the contractor should have enough cash flow to pay (float) all his subs until he gets paid. If he's relying on the accounts to pay him first then pay his subs, he's gonna have a lot of pizzed of ppl.

MILLSAPA 118, You must have either a large bank account or have a lot of seasonal contracts to beable to pay the day after every storm , but for me I don’t, an am not in your situation and just have $4,000 to $6,000 laying around every time it snows to pay everyone, that’s what each snow fall runs me for my help to plow and my invoices don’t go out tell the end of the month. Had 5 plow able snow falls just in Dec that’s roughly $16,000-$24,000, Not counting all the sanding and ice melt materials I have to supply them with.Sorry old boy but I do not got that just laying around!!
    Especially if I not that big of a contractor yet, I do not know about up there in MN but in Iowa ,all the large snow plow contractors down here you almost have to shot to get ur money, they take up wards to 2months to pay ur a--, I fell I’m better then them by getting my guys pay with in 30 days and hand crews faster,

The guys I put on new and the ones that have been around for a couple of years know when they are going to get payed and are cool with it,

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  14. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

bi-weekly........

15. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

our subs get paid when the guys get paid. so withing 1 week of the storm. 1 of our subs prefers to be paid monthly and we do that for him.

16. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I am a sub,normally I get paid within a week of plowing same as the full time employees of the company.

17. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

When to Pay

I will use subs on occassion. When I do I pay them when they return to the yard after the final clean up. I find thats much easier for me and it also insures that when I call again they will come right now.

18. montanag

montanag Member

I pay subs on the same biweekly schedule as employees. they get me their invoices and for a two week period and get paid the following Friday. Everybody gets paid before me, and though it can get stressful, since I bill out monthly, the last set of invoices for the year is usually my bonus. We've had 12 nights out this month, and all but two have been paid out. I'm getting excited to complete billing for January, because based on what I've paid, I must have some good sized invoices going out.payup

19. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

the guy i work for pays whenever i fax over a bill i bill him once a month my buddy likes to wait untill the end of the season to bill out kinda like a "bank" so he gets one check

20. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

spoke with the company owner last night. Check is in the mailpayupTime to go shoppingxysport