1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How large is large plowing business ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kipcom, Feb 6, 2004.

1. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Ok,,,,, Ladies and gentlemen..... Jig's up :rolleyes: Who thinks they have the largest plowing operation ? Out of the millions of places that get plowed....Who has the largest chunk of the pie ?

NOOoooo....:sleeping: 20 driveways is not going to get it.......

But....But....... BUT What ?? Spit it out junior,,, Time to tell the Snow Gods what your made of.

Oh ya,,, Be honest :angel:
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

That was a year ago.....
    We've grown since then.
  4. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

Yea, that was back when he was a small company...

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

:nod: :drinkup:

Congratulations, John.
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

How many accounts do you have John? The whole state? How many trucks in your fleet?:waving:
  7. jrich01

jrich01 Member
    from Ohio

John do you do any work near northeast Ohio?
  8. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

talk about stress? 28 million worth of plowing
  9. SCL

SCL Senior Member

If you know anything about Mr. Allin, you know that he does more than the whole state. He's countrywide, and known countrywide. And he does it all with a 3/4 ton dodge and a Western with pro wings. :eek: :nono: Just kidding.
    Compating this is like asking who's got a nice retail operation, and having Sam Walton wade in.;) I, myself, am a single truck guy and don't even come close. But, I like it that way.
  10. jrich01

jrich01 Member
    from Ohio

If there is any work in the northeast ohio area im willing to help out
  11. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Ok...let me make this easier,,,,,,,, :D

A = 1+ million in snow / salt sales

B = 500k to 900k

C = 100k to 499k

D = 50k to 99k

E = 25k to 49k

F = less than 24k

Give yourself a + if you have more than 5 trucks in your fleet and a ( - ) minus if you have less than 5.

Just fun to see how we all stack up......:dizzy:
  12. 3 GOATS

3 GOATS Junior Member
    from ME

:alien: - Does this look like a green eyed monster?

I only score F-
    Last year, first year - $12k, 1 truck
    Planning on doubling this year, but snow so far not cooperating.
    Give me time, I'll have a passing grade soon.
  13. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

e - for me so far this year.
  14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would love to see the " command center" of the biggest snow removal company in the U.S.A. Probably looks like war room with a big region wide Storm going. Phones ringing, radar screens, field reports, deployments of forces, salt status, just like a war.
    Only it's against Mother Nature.
  15. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

C+ and growing, added a couple more this year
  16. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Turf Tenders-Company I work for...3 Mil per season
    40+ trucks...Mostly Ford F-350 dumps, 4 F-700 dumps, a few Dodge pick-ups, Intl. tandem dump, 4 GMC dumps , 3 CAT loaders, 1 Komatsu loader, 1 Bobcat skid, 1 Case skid, All Boss plows, except of course for the pushers.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2004
  17. JMR

JMR Senior Member

This being my best year ever, I will be a solid E. Perspective is also necessary when making this evaluation. For me this is not my primary business or source of income. It does however compliment my primary business and generate a nice supplement to my income. I won't starve though if it doesn't snow. I grow alittle every year.
  18. apkole

apkole Member

C+, but then the company has been around since '64. Plenty of time to grow, weed out problem customers, and get the kinks out of the organization.

19. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

c+ 3rd year and still growing because i treat it like a snow only business, sima membership and networking with other successful business man, staying away from all of the negative people and thinking about snow 24/7
  20. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Well I guess we are B+, As for John Allin I could only imagine the stress, but I can say this about 25% of our plowing buiness comes from SMG and they are a very well run company. And not to mention I met John, his wife, and sister-in-law at a meeting and they are very down to earth people willing to share thier knowledge and experience with you. I guess it doesn't hurt your reputation either when you tell a potential client that you handled snow removal for the Olympics in Salt lake, right John???? I could only imagine John's stress, it's probably like this:

John in September :waving:
    John Janurary to April :yow!: "plow faster"
    John in May payup
    John June til September :sleeping:

This is all in good fun, no harm intended!