1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how is this plow ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cat320, Sep 10, 2003.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I know Pelican gas this one that cam with his snowfighter package.But who else has this and would buy it for light truck -pickup-small dump?Seams to be a nice plow how is it in the snow? and what does this typ of plow list for?

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

What kind of plow are you talking about. I beleave pelican has 3 plows correct me if im wrong but i beleave he has a blizzard, Diamond, and a viking. What one are you talking about?:confused:

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Meyer, you forgot to put the pumpkin smiley, are you feeling ok buddy?? Mike pumpkin:

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

LMAO at Mike's post. :D That's a good one! pumpkin:

6. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I myself have also wondered about this plow. I think Pelican is the only person that I know who runs this plow. How is the efficiency of the plow and how well is its engineering????

Jaypumpkin:

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

It sure looks pretty well made.The urethane trip edge design is pretty cool too.34" moldboard height will sure move a lot of snow.It's a heavy beast though,almost a 1000 lbs for a 9 footer.

I'm sure Pelican will post his opinion on this.

I also really like the attack angle adjustment.To do that on my Western,I have to take the truck side mount apart to move it.That's not a quick job,and not worth it for one storm.

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

The trip angle is one thing i liked the other was the duel trip edge it does both a full trip or edge trip like IE - Fisher.Plus the poly blade make this to look like a great unit.The other thing is the hydraulics looks to be simple and parts for must be avaliable localy.

9. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

pumpkin:

10. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

If every-one here doesnt know I'm die-hard BOSS FAN by now know it now! I am! BUT>>> THat is a good looking blade!!!
    JON

11. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

no trip spring
    what does it have a built in torsion bar?

cardoctor

12. Santo

Santo Banned

Nice set-up

Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
  13. wyldman

wyldman Member

cardoctor - It looks like they just use urethane as a spring,both for the trip edge pivot,and the full trip.

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

This one slipped past me with all the commotion last week. I don't think I've ever seen a sturdier built plow for light duty trucks. The A frame is massive, the plow sector is boxed tubing and the pistons are 1 3/4", huge in comparison to most blades.

The angle position is very sharp, so there's little spillage out from the forward edge, you can take almost a full cut on consecutive passes. The downside to this is overall width at full angle is reduced, on my 550 it allows for trailing in the windrow even when making a straight pass.

The urethane trip seems to work well, I had no problems last season and I was BUSY! Due to the weight of the plow, it uses up edges pretty quick, I burned up the original steel edge in 2 storms. I switched to a urethane edge and went the remainder of the season on it. This plow is a trip edge design

The moldboard angle is adjustable, there are three bolt holes to adjust your attack angle by moving 2 bolts. Very simple, I did it in the field one night in about 5 minutes including gathering tools.

Hitching and unhitching is a bit more complicated than most modern plows.

To hitch, you drive into the plow similar to the Fisher of about 5 years ago, I don't know their current set up. I find you have to rock the lift tower to get the pins (4) to lock. Then you release the lift cylinder(lower), it serves as the plow jack while disconnected. You have to collapse the cylinder fully to get it to swing up into the lift arm where you pin it in place. Then you set your lift chains, make hose connections (I'm full hydraulic) and hook up the headlights. It takes about 5 minutes and sometimes I have to wrestle with the lift cylinder to collapse it, it's in an awkward position.

Once the plow is on though, it's a real nice unit. I don't think you'll find a tougher straight blade out there.

15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Pelican-
    Slightly off-topic, but do you have any recent pictures of your truck/plow set up? My uncle is looking at a new 550 or 5500, he liked the few pictures I found, but wanted to know how it held up after a year of fairly heavy use. He really wants a 4x4, and isn't sure if he wants to wait until sometime in 04 when they finally decide to bring them out, or if he wants to get a 550. Thanks.

After I told him about Fred's luck with the new 6.0L PSD, he started to lean more towards the 5500 w/ the 6.6L, however he thinks that might be too big for his plowing needs....:confused:

He got an 03 2500HD D/A this past spring and loves it. but he wants something bigger as well (go figure)

-John