1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How is this going to turn out well?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by M&M, Nov 17, 2010.

1. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Long story short. A good friend works for a rental car company at their main lot. The lot has between 50 and 500 cars on it at a time depending on circumstances. They bought a plow truck and had a meeting to see who wanted to volunteer to drive the truck during a storm. Well, 3 guys volunteered and the rest said FU. Then they tell the 3 guys that your not getting paid extra, you "might" have to come in at 3 am or Christmas or New Years. The management that works there said they wouldn't drive the truck either. There is no way this is going to turn out good.

This is the problem with the corporate suits from the south that see it as a dollar savings on paper but in reality one slip and fall, one accident, one anything and they are on the losing end of it.

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Funny you mention that, a hotel next to where I work just bought a 2010 F250 Reg Cab long bed with a 8'6" extreme V on it to plow their lot. They just traded in an older Dodge with an EZV. I never understood why they plowed their own lot nor why they bought a brand new truck when the other one was working fine.

3. BlizzardBuster3

BlizzardBuster3 Junior Member
    from SW PA

there is nothing good going to happen... either the lot will not get plowed or there will be damage to something....50 to 500 cars will only add to the problem.

4. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Its a tax write off. Equipment for your business.

Two of the volunteers will quit after the first time in the truck and the third will get fired for wrecking the truck.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

God forbid if the thing breaks down....then what?

6. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

a large church here that i used to do bought their own a couple years ago. the lot takes almost 3 man hours. we put two dump trucks on it and a shovel/snowblow guy and it took us about an hour. well they bought a brand new f350 with a 7.5 western on it. they had a few guys from the church that said they would do it for free. i think they tried it 2 or 3 times before they gave up on it. it was quite funny to watch them, they had an 8o'clock service and the guys would show up at 645-7 to start, since it only took me an hour.

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Spend a million to save a dollar!

8. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Give em a business card for plowing and another one for when they are ready to sell the truck.

9. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Tell your friend to volunteer and do it then at the end of the season call a labor attorney and file a complaint against them for not paying him overtime. Sorry, plowing does not fall under the description of an exempt management employee