1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how is the XLS?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by FordFisherman, Dec 22, 2007.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Has anyone used the XLS? Does it attach to the MM2 setup? How much will it set me back?

2. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

I would also like to know. I would think that sliding parts on a plow would be a bad idea. But the concept is great for multi use

3. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

i think it seems like a good idea, shouldn't be much different from the moving parts on a v-plow? all hydraulically controlled it seems, with each wing individually adjustable. if the price is right id rather have that then the v-plow for my situation. but if the v and the xls are in the same range, probably the v for sure.

4. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

What about how much will it increase your productivity?

5. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

the xls and the western wide out are the same blade as the blizzard 810. just with the fisher and western mounts and pumps. yes there are some minor differences but they are all owned by DD.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Keep telling yourself that. If it's such a bad idea, why did DD buy the rights\patent to the idea of an expanding wing plow?

Also, now that I've said it a million times, the moving parts BS is the exact same reason people didn't buy V-plows a little less than 20 years ago when they hit the market in a big way. How many commercial plowers do you see without V-plows now?

Minor differences? Have you seen both up close and in person? How about major differences?

Having said that, from the contractor that I know that has an XLS, it is working great, except for the 'urethane' edges.

7. FordFisherman

from 06611

Do you have an idea on price? I'm convinced about productivity.

8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Depending on size, I belive its atleast $1000 more than its straight-blade-counterpart

9. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

Currently I have 1 v-plow and 1 straight blade. When I say that it has alot of moving parts, I mean parts that slide, may bend, and wear. How about ice jamming the wings from moving in and out. I hope to add another plow in a couple years and always look for productive equipment.

10. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

excuse me i apologize. by minor i meant given. most should know the xls WOULD basically resemble a fisher blade with blizzard wings and so the same for the wideout. Yes I have seen all of them and being a original blizzard owner i was goin on the assumption most people would realize that. my mistake.

11. FordFisherman

from 06611

So if buying new would you recommend the v-plow or the xls?

12. Mark Oomkes

If it were me, the XLS, Wideout or Blizzard without question. My preference is the Blizzard, but the others would make a good second choice.

13. mgf250

mgf250 Member

Fisher XLS

I was out shopping around yesterday for an X Blade and just happened to see an XLS. The XLS is huge, about 1000 lbs.
    Extreme V is about 900 lbs
    X Blade is about 800 lbs
    HD is about 730 lbs

14. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

i never thought to check the weight of the plow. after reading that, id go with the v-blade. sure the wings would be nice but damn, 1000lbs? not only spare plow parts in stock but a spare front end? no thanks. maybe if i had a 1ton or bigger.

15. mgf250

mgf250 Member

Xls

Imagine hitting a dip in the road with 1000 lbs at the front end, the HD is bad enough!

Don't get me wrong, the concept is great, I would reserve this option for a larger truck.

16. FordFisherman

from 06611

That's a lot of weight, especially with the ball joint issues that the fords have

17. Mark Oomkes

That's nothing, I have 2 550's with full size 8611's, which weigh in at just under 1500#'s. The '05 has not had ball joints yet and it's at about 30K and the '04 had a new set at 19K before the Blizzard was installed.

Also have 2 350's with the LP's weighing in at about the same as the XLS. Nothing on the '05 yet close to 38K and the '02 went at about 56K, and again before the Blizzard.

Basically, the ball joints are going to go anyways, so just have greaseable ones installed instead of the crap Ford sells, and you should be set. While those ball joints are wearing out, I'm going to be producing 30% more than a V plow that weighs almost the same.

18. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Anybody have any pics of the new plow hooked up. I would like to see one. thanks

19. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

I know a couple people with them and the absolutely love them. I'll try to get some pictures sometime.