1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How is plowing with an 8' western plow with a 5.0L

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cgillispn, Feb 25, 2004.

1. cgillispn

cgillispn Member

I am interested in purchasing a 1991 Ford F-250 4x4 5.0L automatic with 129k miles with an electric western plow. Is the 5.0 underpowered for plowing streets for the town with an 8' plow? I have also never used a western, how are they? I heard that they just flop over when you hit a man hole, has that caused anyone any problems? Thanks for the input.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I cant say anything about the ford 5.0 but i can tell you that i have run several chevy 1500 short boxes with a vortec v-6 and 8' blades and have never run out of power. Its all in the traction. As for the western tripping, if it didnt trip and you hit a manhole, somethings going to break someplace else. Western builds a good plow.

3. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Yes. I think the 5.0 is underpowered for that heavy of a truck period. I have a 5.8 in my '90 F250, and I wish I had a 460 all the time. Not just for towing and hauling, but all around driving the truck uses a lot of energy, aka gas, to move. The acceleration is slow, especially with the plow or any kind of load over 500 lbs. Of course, I have 3.55 gearing, so maybe something a little lower would be a different story. Thant's just my opinion though.

4. ctplowguy

ctplowguy Junior Member
    from ct

Wow,if you think the 5.8 needs a lot of power(gas)-you sure dont want a 460!My 95 with a 460 with 354s gets 8MPG.The best I ever got was 11 MPG with no plow,all highway,tailgate down,in overdrive(auto)at 65 MPH!I love it but its a pig!!:dizzy:
    Anyways the Western is a GREAT plow.As somebody already said-if it doesnt trip when hitting a manhole youll be in for some serious breakage.The 5.0 should push the snow fine especially if the truck has 4.10s.If not plow with it in 4-low.I always do -to take strain off the trans anyways.As long as you arent driving like a maniac youll do well.Good luck!!

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

you should be fine with the 5.0 IMO, don't let the engine stop you from plowing:nono: Theres more powerful trucks out there but it should do the job.

6. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

I think the 5.0 should do fine. I run that engine with a 7.5' blade and its great... Plus you have to be smart when plowing anways! Besides its not hard to bog down a more powerful truck if you dont use you head.

7. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Actually, I get between 8-10 mpgs everyday. I've heard because of the size, the 460 uses less power compared to a 351, therefore getting the same, if not better, gas mileage. Can't say for sure, as I've never owned one, but I'm just gonna skip it and go to a diesel my next truck.