1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How is everyone liking their Hiniker

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by milkie62, Sep 23, 2013.

1. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Been looking at either a full trip or trip edge 8' Hiniker.I just sod my Fisher and really did not like the banging the plo made when it tripped.Also had a Western pro 8' and liked the full blade trip even though I would some snow.Any comments on either ? Is there any cushioning with the trip edge ? Thanks

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I like the Hiniker plows. I will probably buy a Boss if I get a new truck and I end up sticking with plowing much longer. The full trip Hinikers don't have any type of shock or rubber absorbers. My brother broke both headlights off a full trip V last season from it snapping back so hard.

3. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Yikes that ain't good.

4. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Was never a fan of full trips. Never had a issue with my hiniker 8' straight or my 8.5 V. Both are trip edge.

5. NBI Lawn

Trip edges are nice. Never had a problem with those. Full trips do come back pretty hard.

6. plowman1984

plowman1984 Member

The plowers by me that have them, say they like them and have no complaints about them at all. I'm looking into a C plow myself when I get a new truck

7. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I never had a issue with my hiniker 8' straight either & will be buying additional hiniker plows in the future.

8. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I've made a lot of money the last two seasons with a used 9' scoop trip edge.

I'd buy another one based on experiences with this one.

9. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

We ran Fishers for over 40 years and the quality slipped as time passed so we switched to Hiniker. We had a few breakage issues the first couple years but after some attitude adjustments and 8 plows being sent to Minnesota for repair times have been good.

10. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

I'm don't understand who's attitude you had to adjust. Please explain.

11. starspangled6.0

starspangled6.0 Senior Member

This is our second year with a 8.5' v. Coming from a boss 8.2' vxt, I really prefer the trip edge on the Hiniker as opposed to the full trip. Haven't had any issues with either plow, though.

12. NBI Lawn

Boss does offer a full trip with trip edge V plow now...best of both worlds. Check out the DXT.

13. starspangled6.0

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Any idea what the pricing is on those? We might get another truck next year.

14. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

Not here to stir stuff up but I got rid of my hiniker 8foot straight blade broke mount forks and had a bad relay all within 3 weeks of owning it. The plow having those issues wasn't my reason for switching brands the dealer was. I thought the plow was a good plow light weight yet durable minus mount forks. I loved the head light system they were 3 times the headlights that are on my new western. I really liked the compression spring set up on straight blades. Hook up was really simple and easy. The scissors lift was great. box ends make it one heck of a plow. I have pics on here of how I modified them They were worth every penny.

15. starspangled6.0

Was that with their first-generation mounting system or their second-gen? I know the first-gen is notorious for snapping the forks off. I've done some brutal lifting and stacking with the second-gen, and haven't had an issue.

16. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I abused the heck out of my 8' first gen hiniker. Never had a issue with it.
    On my 3rd yr with second gen V. Only issue I had was a hose rubbed and caused a leak. PITA but a quick easy fix.

17. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

It was the first style with the notch cut out. I literally plowed 2hours before it snapped them both clean off at the notch. Picked plow up to back up and the plow fell down. I thought I didn't have it latch right but when I got out to look the forks were still in the receivers!! My thought was a bad batch of iron because I finished rest of year with out an issue. I should've taken pictures.

18. starspangled6.0

That's what I've heard happens a lot with the first gen. The second gen forks are about twice as thick, and I think they're a different metal.

19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Ran a C plow plow for awhile, I liked it but now we have all Blizzard plows

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  20. NBI Lawn

I have had a mount break on a 8.5' V. Same deal, broken right at the notches. That's the only mount I've personally seen break in years of using Hiniker. Even though Hiniker is well aware of the problem they told me to pound sand...didn't even offer to give me a discount on a new one.