1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How is everyone doing sidewalks??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTK324, Nov 18, 2010.

1. JTK324

JTK324 Senior Member

So we have done the ATV route and that works but now we want to get something a little nicer and maybe with heat to make someone actually want to do the walks so... My question is what is every one else doing to clear sidewalks??????ussmileyflag
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We have done the ATV route, towing the trailer sucked, ATV got lots of corrision from roading. We currently have two ways;
    1. Cube van with 2 guys, blowers & Ice melt, take care of our commercial walks.
    2. Jeep with plow, for schools, last season we had a sub with a Dodge Dakota, he moved, finding another replacement (with small truck) was difficult, & my brother was getting rid of the Jeep, it will have a 7'6" Fisher V on it.

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

jeep wranglers are great for walks I had one with a 6.5 snoway worked great.

^^ better beef up the front end with that v plow on it
  4. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

well the easy answer if you want heat and be comfortable is the tool cat but what are you looking to spend on something?
  5. JTK324

JTK324 Senior Member

We will spend a good amount of change but we don't want to spend 70k on a holder and we are looking into a Kubota and there is no way in he'll we are going back to guys shoveling takes way to long
  6. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

I use an ATV with a 50 inch plow on it. If I had the money I would probably have a toolcat or a kubota MTV with a cab and plow.
  7. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

We ditched the ATV a few years back. We use single stage toro's, shovels (snow plow brand shovels, they are great!) and we have a small deere tractor with a 48" blower. With all of these going together, there isn't anything we can't tackle. A friend of mine uses a Deere 1445 and its the cats A$$. Spent my money already this year on other equip, but im going to consider the 1445 or equiv. for next year. 4x4 will make a big difference too. Toro makes a groundsmaster mower that converts to a tracked machine with cab and blower, broom and blade attachments. Zero turn, comfortable, and very efficient from what i've seen. Hope that helps
  8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

The Fisher dealer is also a truck suspension place the said timbrins & airbags.
  9. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

We use ATV's shovels, snow blowers, Mid size tractors with cabs like JD 455's. just enclosing them from the elements is a plus body heat keeps them resonable warm from there. the right pay to any sidewalk help will bring them back year after year. can't be paying them peanuts and expect them to want to return the next year!!
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  10. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

iv run deere 425 , 455, 935, 1145, and 1445 and gators all with full hard cabs, all with heat (not that it worked super well) all with fully hydro blades, a few had spreaders on the back, i was happy with all of them

the only think , the 425 had the all wheel steer, and if you had down pressure on, and the surface was slippery you would steer right and the machine would slowly walk left
  11. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Have you thought of getting a blower for the ATV instead of a plow? They clean the walks pretty good although I dont know what time frame you are looking at as far allocated time per walk. If I am not mistaken I believe there is a spreader out there made for atv's too so a blower with a spreader may be nice
  12. grasskeepers

grasskeepers Member

13. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

a shovel and my girlfriend
  14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

An Argo, a ranger, maybe a skid?, a little kubota tractor like merimac has, I'm running out of ideas.
  15. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

We are going to purchase a new blower for some school sidewalks this year. Undecided on a Deere w a 2 stage blower or the Grasshopper w the single stage.
  16. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

Just tell your workers that there is heat in shoveling. :jester: