1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how is everybody doing so far?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by greenworldh20, Dec 29, 2002.

1. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

hi!

i am new to plow site. my name is brian and i plow snow in orange and rockland counties, ny. i was just wondering how everybody feels about this winter season that is upon us now.

we are having a great season. we just picked up a new commerical building near some residentials we take care of. anyway, how are the rest of you guys doing?

2. citybobcat

citybobcat Junior Member
    from NYC

Brian
    I can't complain I'll be getting a new truck if this keep's up the same way all season. Without payment's that is! I hope you do good too!
    Tom

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Hello Brian Welcome to plowsite.
    Glad to hear this season is doing well for you, aside from the last being a bust for us, it has been a great season so far. At least 3x the snow as last year already.
    Dino

4. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

My winter stinks, normally have plowed 1/2 a dozen times by now. Not one yet. But there is a chance of snow new years day.:D

5. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

It's been going GREAT! My plow is still in brand new condition, I haven't been tired during the days... Oh wait, that's cuz we HAVEN'T HAD ANY DAMN SNOW!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

6. bison1973

bison1973 Member

weak winter so far

This stinks- No snow here in central WI either. Plowed once way back in October! My plow is still like new too.

7. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

I am with the last 2. No dents in the truck yet, no scratches on the new plow, plenty of sleep, warm bed with the wife.....but I would give it all up for awhile just for some plowable snow.

8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Now I hate to wish or appear to wish no snow for any snow lovers out there, but last year it sure was torture to read all of your posts (maybe not you guys specifically, but others' from your areas at least) talking about all the snow you got while we had none here. ;) Welcome to our world last year. This year we can smile over here because we've plowed twice in December, which is very rare here. Have patience, it will come.

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Not great up here either

Started out looking like a good winter, had our first (and only) push on November 18. Since then we've had many days of "snow drizzle" with a little freezing rain but nothing to drop a plow for. I was hoping for a better December than last year but no luck. May have a repeat of last year's dismal results.

badyear3.jpg

10. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Allen,I kinda thought you were up there in ski country?no snow?You should be up there running a groomer not plowing,much more fun!

11. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Out here in Colorado they start you grooming at $9/hr to drive a 200k sno-cat!

Pretty boring work, until you get into a winch cat.

12. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Chtucker, you are so right about boring work, I worked at our local ski area making snow for 6 years at night from 8pm-8am 7 nights a week, that was fun but when it wasnt cold enough or we had enough snow, they would have a worker come in every night to do small jobs and stuff and the rest of the night you got to ride in the groomer, and wow that was boring looked like alot of fun and was for while but then it was almost like the seat was a bed because within 10mins of sitting in it you were sound asleep, but anyway the pay at any ski area really sucks and the time/work coniditons are not that great, Loved making snow but the job was hard and very cold+wet all for the hihe wage of $9.00 per hour. But we had a lot of fun blasting around on the sleds all night and making huge mountains of snow. Just my two cents

13. push4$$

push4$$ Junior Member

Ski and snowmobile country isn't any fun without DEEP SNOW!Alan and myself totaly missed out the Christmas day storm.It was a real heartbreaker to see that much snow pass just to the south of me.So close I could smell it.:( :mad: :rolleyes:

14. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Arc, I'm in the lowlands near Lake Champlain, about 25 miles or so from the start of ski country. We can see grass everywhere as there is so little snow cover. December precipitation levels are way down and not much in the forecast for the next few days but some freezing rain tomorrow night and rain on Tuesday.

And you're right, Push, it was some depressing watching that storm almost get to us and then get blown back south.

15. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Off to a decent start so far we went out twice, 12/5 and 12/25 they say when it snows early is snows often, will see.:waving:

16. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well the first few weeks were bad.didn't have any work,but the past week i signed up two old commercial accounts i had last year.they went for the low baller guy and he did a crapy job.so i got them back at my price.so things are looking up over here.the new yellow pages came out last week and i've been getting calls from that also.the low baller lives 10 houses down from me also..lol.welcome to plowsite

17. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

Went out 12/11, 12/24, 12/25, and tonite. Got 2-4". Will be a full route plowing for the first time this winter. Hopefully this is a sign of more snow to come.

18. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Hi Greenworldh20,

Here in BC (Canada that is) we've usually plowed a few times already but this year is looking a little sad. Like others no new dents or scrapes in my blade either :). Looks almost as if I might be able to start spraying dormant oil soon. I'm sure we'll see some snow soon though. . . .I hope . . . maybe. We usually get about 12 plow days in a season. Pretty puny compared to the East, I hardly feel like I should be in this forum with the real plow guys.
    Henry

19. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

No snow here. It sucks. Last year I had been out 8 times by this time. Strange weather. We haven't even gotten lake effect lately. That's usually enough to pay the bills but not this year. NEED SNOW... NOW!!!

20. Brother1

Brother1 Member

So far this year we've probably grossed as much as we did all last winter. Bought a used Western tailgate spreader and has made its money back and than some already. Now enough of the heavy wet nor'easter snows - lets have a few days of thaw so some piles disappear and then how about 2 or 3 4" snowfalls of the light fluffy stuff a week for the next 2 or 3 months. That will really make this a nice plow season.

:D