1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How I split my wood!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by hlntoiz, Dec 15, 2011.

1. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Finally got a chance last weekend to split half my wood for the season. I have an outdoor furnace now so I don't need the pieces to be that small.

Sit in a nice warm cab and don't have to worry about breaking my back lifting heavy logs.

Splitting Wood with and Excavator
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

That's how you work hard, not smart. My grandpa told me years ago "if you don't use your head your whole body suffers"

I cut down quite a few trees at my cottage to make room to build a new one....I'm dreading splitting it all on my trailer mounted splitter.....where did you get this attachment from? Homemade? Id much rather take the mini ex up there and sit on my a$$ and split it if I could
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

that is my problem i need one of those lol
  4. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Pretty sure that's SNOWLORD
  7. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I am not in it for production. If I was that would be my gig.

Mine is just a ram and the hydros work off the thumb hydros. Not that fastest but for my own needs it works just fine.

Working on a Skid steer is a PITA. I couldn't imagine the mess that would be made turning back and forth.

What is nice is the big logs are easy to handle. My buddies that cut trees don't want anything to do with the larger logs so they are mine for the picking. Better BTU's with them anyway.
  8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well at leat your set up to take them. a mini and a grapple are a must to taking log lenghts and cutting to what size you need not what size people want to cut them to.when my freind lent me his 345 bobcat it was nice to pick them up and cut to lenght.
  9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Wouldn't it be faster off a tractor? As opposed to a skid steer of excavator?

And the guy with the ugly mug at the beginning of the video, that was scary right there. I almost had to stop watching.

J\K Matt, looks pretty sweet. Would it work to put a 4-way splitter on the ram?
  10. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

We build the same thing to run off your skid steer, we can;t pick the logs up though, just for splitting. Beats swinging an axe
  11. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

That's pretty cool. Could you put a 4 way wedge on it?
  12. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

The guy I bought the ram off of said the wedge would get jammed to often. Not worth the headache.
  13. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

couldn't you put a bigger wedge and stronger cylinder and then chop the wood as well the split it. just a thought.
  14. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth Member

Really like the pics on your Facebook page. Nice work!
  15. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

the pressure doesn't come from the cylinder, it comes from teh pumps from the digger. It runs off the "thumb" hydros. Plus when you are splitting large pieces the extra wedges are a PITA. It gets jammed up a lot.

Thanks!Thumbs Up
  16. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Nice setup. you must have a huge fireplace.
    If you add a 4 way, don’t weld the wedge that is parallel to the H beam exactly parallel. Weld it with a slope so that the back of the wedge is further from the H beam than the front, also sharpen the wedge so that the slope of the cutting face of the wedge is on the top not the bottom. This will keep the logs from pinching.
    I hope I have explained this confusingly! Lol send me a PM and I will post a photo..
  17. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I got you. Thanks. next year I will give it a shot.

My only issue is the larger pieces that I split need to be cut in half then 1/4's before they will work with that set up. Plus I don't think the piston will have enough power to push that though.
  18. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I got you beat on the cost per cord that you and I are spending to cut firewood. I think my wood (pine) has a cost of $400 per cord, if I was to hire someone to do exactly as have been doing
    BOBCAT cut dead standing trees in the property to 12 foot lengths and bring to barn
    MINI Lift logs to cut into 18" lenghts so that I dont have to bend over
    BOBCAT hook up splitter so that i use the Bobcat $60k hydraulic pump
    Physical labor, this part sucks, lift logs onto splitter, once split stack in pallets with wired sides,
    BOBCAT get forks and bring tot he house 1/2 cord at a time when needed.

I just need a beer holder on the side of the splitter! When you got the equipment just sitting there, you should use it!
    I can buy this stuff for $125 a face cord split and stacked...

19. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

U nailed it. How many times do you have to handle it?

I don't burn pine, I find it doesn't get the furnace hot enough.

As I am splitting the logs right over the pile. From the pile to the furnace is the only time I actually use my hands to move it.

Nice Equipment BTW. I love the CAT. I am going to seriously look at one my next go around. I hate bobcat. overrated IMO. I run a Takeuchi Track loader.
  20. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Touching the log -
    Off the ground onto the splitter
    off the splitter into the wire pallet cage
    out of the cage onto the deck of the house
    off the deck into the fire place..

before was
    rounds into the truck
    out of the truck into a pile
    out of the pile onto the splitter
    off the splitter into a pile
    stack pile
    out if the stack pile into the truck (we can only handle 1/2 cord on the deck at a time)
    out of the truck onto the deck
    off the deck into the fire place....

I need the logs smaller for the fire place than you are splitting them, so I think that it would take longer with the mini than by hand. We have 1200 acres of pine and nothing else, so that's what I burn. I just loaded the start of cord # 4 on the deck. 1/2 a cord lasts about 2 weeks with outside temps in the 20's (F)

EQUIPMENT - I have had the bobcat for 5 yrs, there are many reasons I bought a cat mini and not a bobcat. But I wish the CAT have the electronic bells and whistles that the bobcat Mini has.. Like an alarm when you are running low on fuel! With how dorky the Mini looks that thing can move some dirt!
    here is a tread that has a summer photo with tracks ont he bobcat and winter blowing a 4 mile road...