1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how i spend my time not plowing

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by dayexco, Dec 30, 2010.

1. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

city hires us to stack snow with the excavator at their snow dump site. looks like it will be 8-10 hrs a day for the next week or so.

snow1.jpg

snow2.jpg

2. Williams Ex Co

Williams Ex Co Junior Member
    from Iowa

Gene..... Do you just have them dump in the slot and then throw to either side from the bench?

3. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

You have a picture of the snow pile?

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i'd like to see that too

5. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

they already stacked it as high as a 950 G cat would stack it..i'm guessing about 16-18'? i ramped myself up on top of the pile, dug that trench all the way to the back of the pile, and either the loader is feeding the tunnel from the front of the pile...or the trucks back in and dump so it doesn't have to be handled twice. btw paul...we're getting a HELLUVA blizzard here right now, can't see 20'

6. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i will take pics tomorrow of the pile itself. i took those from the cab of the excavator w/my phone.

7. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Keep digging keyways like that one throughout the pile, you'll be able to stack snow for weeks!

8. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

i wanna see this pile...

9. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

You could make a lot of snow cones for the county fair next 4th of July, I'm sure It'll still be there.

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

haha yeah that pile wont be melting for a while

11. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

3M's campus is a couple miles from me. Every year they take snow from their campus's parking lots and put it in one big pile. There's usually a pile of snow left going into June.

12. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

pretty impressive!
    Yes a picture of the "pile" would be nice to see one day!
    Or even a Google earth shot maybe! (but i think google only takes pics in the summer/spring)

13. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i keep taking pics from the cab of the excavator, need to take one once i get down off pile...the first pic, is of an old fiat allis fr20 loader bucket i converted to fit our 210 case excavator, 2nd is just truck backing up into the cut, 3rd is the 2 loaders cleaning up, i put 19 hrs in stacking yesterday. this has been VERY good deal for us. i'm SURE happy now that USM refused to make the contract revisions i requested, hired a competitor...and gave me the time to do this.

fr20 bucket.jpg

pile2.jpg

pile1.jpg

14. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Thats alot of snow!!! Looks like pretty easy money though.. (meaning not a ton of physical labor)

15. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

WOW!! I got to get me a job like that.

16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

holly snot, that awsome. deff get some pictures of the pile standing on the ground!

17. justinizzi

justinizzi Senior Member

What kind of excavator are you running for this job

18. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

you need a melter !

19. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

justinizi, 210 case

20. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Geesh why such a huge machine? Go get yourself a mini hoe! Lol
    In all seriousness, wouldn't a dozer be more productive? And be able to stack higher?