1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How I put my plow away for summer

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jonw440, Mar 31, 2006.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

Since the weather here is in the 60's and 70's I don't think I will be using this until next fall.(Yeah in 1997 we had 3' on April 1st,NO joke)
    My plow stays outside (no garage) so it must be protected from the rain and sunshine.

Any way I used the following items to clean and protect the plow.

Car wash
    Shop vac (for blowing it dry)
    Light grease
    Dielectric grease
    .22 cal bore brush(for cleaning the plug connectors)
    Alcohol (to remove any water remaining in the plugs and plug covers)
    Q tips
    Collinite 845 insulator car wax
    Wurth Rubber care
    Some touch up paint
    and about 2 hours of my time
    Step One: Washing
    I used Meguiars Gold class shampoo, but any car wash will work fine.
    I also used an old synthetic wool wash mitt I had.(don't want to get my good one greasy)

Once its been throughly washed, the next step is drying it.
    I used my shop vac on the blow side.Its does a better job then trying to dry it with a towel.
    Step 3 Waxing Once its dry I applied some collinite 845 insulator wax on ALL painted surfaces.
    You dont have to be to picky at removing it, just be picky about applying it to every square inch of the plow,plow frame and mold board.
    Let it dry then buff it off.
    Step 4 The next step is cleaning the contacts in the plugs.
    This is where a .22 cal bore brush works great!
    I started with a bunch of Q tips to get most of the grease out, then used the bore brush to remove any corrosion found on the contacts(mine didn't have any corrosion)
    I used some electric contact cleaner to get all of the old grease out of the plugs.
    Once all the grease is gone apply new dielectric grease liberally to the contacts. I also put it around the edge of the covers to help keep water out.
    Step 5 The next step is treating the rubber and plastic.
    I use Wurth rubber stick.Just squeeze the bottle upside down and the foam applicator spreads it like a shoe polish bottle.
    I treated all the rubber hoses and lights.
    I let it soak in for 10 minutes then wiped off the excess.
    The next step was removing the plow shoes.Mine were pretty rusty, so I cleaned the shoes,washers,hitch pin in PB Blaster.
    I also cleaned the mounting hole on the plow where the shoe mounts.
    Once clean I applied regular grease to every thing and put it back together.(I placed all the washers below the plow so it would sit higher to keep air flowing under the plow.
    Step 6 The last step was touching up any rust spots on the mounting frame on the truck,cleaning the plugs like I did on the plow.
    I keep my plow out side so I placed it on a blue tarp to keep the moisture from coming up from the ground.
    The exposed area will be fine. Just re apply the rubber treatment twice during the summer and thats it.
    Oh I also checked the fluid level(was full)

Hope this helped.
    I ams sure you could use these directions for any make of plow.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  2. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

Here is the washing picture Featuring your truely :)
    Here is the picture of the bore brush
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  3. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't suppose you'll swing by my place and clean mine up too????

That's what I call fussy. That plow will last forever. If only we all took care of our stuff like that.......
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Don't forget to change the hydraulic fluid too.:waving:
  5. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

I take it thats your first plow, and you bought it this last fall or this winter correct. I admire one for taking care of equipment. The attention to detail is amazing, right down to cleaning the contacts. You get (two) thumbs-up here !!!:cool: :cool:
  6. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

Uh no this isnt my first plow , but it's my first BOSS.
    Yes I bought it last August. We only had 3 plowable storms this winter.
    I had a Meyer for over 13 years. It is still working fine.
    As a matter of fact I wax the underside of my truck!!xysport
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Wax under truck?

How the heck do you do that?
  8. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

How to Wax the underneath of a Dodge

My Son tells me that if he sratches just behind the front quater panel of his 1500 he can get it to roll over. ;)

Then he just power washes it and waxes the frame.

Of course, then when he scratches the other side and the truck comes upright, he blames all the dents and scratches on the wax job, not the night he spent out 4 wheeling with too much blood in his alchohol system.:drinkup:

Good job keeping up your plow!
  9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

looks like your doing a good job!!!! wish i made the time to do all of that. when it comes to waxing your undercarriage, you should really get a social life.