1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How I destroyed my plow.......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DouglasCo, Mar 26, 2007.

1. DouglasCo

DouglasCo Junior Member

Well, I actually haven't yet but I know there are some Destroyers out there so please post your story(and pics). I'm particularly interested in smashed, cracked, bent, bowed Poly Plows. Maybe you'll save somebody from the same fate. And I guess for the full education, if you did something that you think really should have destroyed your plow but it somehow survived tell us what you did. (describe the crash)
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Why are you trying to give Poly-Plows a bad name?
  3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I don't think that what he meat, but I could be wrong.

I know a guy that ruined a perfectly good plow just by installing it on a Jeep. xysport

Just kidding!
  4. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I know a guy that ruined a perfectly good plow just by installing it on a Jeep. xysport

Just kidding![/QUOTE]

That is too funny!!

I don't think he was jabbing at the polys either.
  5. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, I hope to hear, er...read some replys.

I'm interested in getting a plow for driveways, and townhomes.
    I know I won't be getting a manual angle one.

I'm interested in a lightweight one, but then again, will it go through the hard pack at the
    end of the driveway.

My snowblower broke a nutural cable if that helps this thread.:)
  6. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

part way through the winter I did what I said I would never do. As a favor to my girl I took on her friend from work driveway. I went an met her boyfriend ( his mental capacity didn't astound me. ) he wanted the top parking area only plowed and the drive up the hill. The top area was by the looks more lawn then driveway. I told him I might not be able to squeeze a 1 ton with sander in there but I would try. First and second storm I showed up and it was all plowed. I said screw it and threw his name and address away. three days after the third storm she asked my girl if I was going to plow or not. I charged extra for waiting three days. Then she tells my girl that she wants the lower driveway plowed. Worked it out that it was going to be more for both of them. O.K. got into the upper area no problem, tight but made it, plowed, got paid. Then we had a warm spell, ( exposing stuff ), and then a storm. Went up to plow, did the hill, started into the upper area, next thing I know the plow gets angled the opposite direction, truck comes to stop, stalled, and hydraulic fluid id spaying all over the side of the house. The dog hits the dash I drive my chest into the steering wheel, and smash my hand into the joy stick control. Started up, backed up, wow look at that the simpleton didn't tell me there was an artesian well in the middle of the yard. It ripped the back end of my angle piston right over the pin, snapped the 90 degree fitting for the hose, bent my a frame a slight bit. Broke the bolts off through my transmission mount, set the trans and tansfer case over enough to let the clutch linkage fall off in the first driveway after I put a new piston on. Fell off about 30 more times that day. Then when I went back to finish it the end of the day and someone finished. Then she had the gall to complain that the well cap is busted up.
  7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I would tell her you can switch bills. She can pay your truck repairs, you will buy a new well cap.
    I have a good one too but words just won't do justice. I'll wait till I get some pictures of it.
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

What kind of plow
  9. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

Fisher 9', I told my girlfriend to tell her to kiss my ass. I am sure she will reword it much more politely!
  10. Mark in MD

Mark in MD Member

I destroyed my plow not rinsing it off after plowing, and not applying Fluid Film (check it out, there are holes big enough to put your fist through):

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

that didnt happen in one day thats several years of rust
  12. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

See, use Fluid Film! It will keep your plow from crying. :cry:
  13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Where in maryland are you?
  14. DouglasCo

DouglasCo Junior Member

Man that sucks. So how tall was the well sticking out of the ground that your blade didn't trip?! I'm not trying to give any one type of plow a bad name. I'm just wanting to build my own. I've got some polycarb in various ranges from 1/4 to 3/4 and am just interested in how it breaks and whats the best way to support it and the other parts of the plow. To stay competitive companies have to cut-corners that just aren't worth the hassle of trying to justify the extra expense to the customer. Oh, and I have a bad habit of breaking things. My buddy that owns a demolition company gave me the nickname "the destroyer".
  15. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

Didn't break the plow. It pulled the rear pin through the back end of the piston. The well sticks up about two feet or more in the out of the ground, and then has a cast iron cover bolted to the top.It was strait and the relief valve worked and let it angle to the left, but it went a little farther than the piston would allow for. My trip edge works good it was probably tripped back but not much good when the object is two or more feet above grade and fifty or more feet below grade. Well case pipe is about a 1/4 inch thick too.
  16. Mark in MD

Mark in MD Member

I'm in Brookeville. :)
  17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I was plowing a new condo complex that didn't get the second layer of black top before winter hit. I had to do 110 drives and the streets. At about 25 MPH I hit a water shut off cover. It didn't break the plow but it did split my brand new cutting edge right down the middle. I had bruises from hitting the seat belts at a good speed.
    I cranked up the amps on the arc welder and welded the cutting edge back together.
    Gotta love a good welder ( Craftsman ) and a thick rod!
    And my Son was impressed!
  18. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I put 1x1 hole in my poly skin on my Snoway this winter. It was 4 degrees out, I was on my 27th hour plowing and I hit an ice ridge a little hard.......I replaced it with stainless steel....
  19. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

This is from widdleing away at the edge of a HUGE pile. Plow was strait, over came pressure relief valve and hit the stops hard enough it did this.

View attachment imag0043.JPG