1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how hot should my trans run???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sparksrides, Dec 15, 2008.

1. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

i have a 1995 f 250 psd with the e40d auto trans, and i just installed a trans temp gage. what should the trans run at and how hot is to hot? the gage starts at 150 and goes up to 400 right now the gage is sitting at a consistent 150 and i have seen the needle move slightly under and up to 150
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Not even remotely similair trucks but mine ranges between 180 and 210. 150 seems too low to be true. Is that a factory gauge? Cause those are junk.
  3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

i am at about 150 the whole winter at max. If I dont have the plow on and Im just driving around the guage doesnt even move off the 100 mark which is the lowest the needle goes. Summer time i have gone as high as 210 towing in high heat but thats because I have a shift kit and my pump runs a little harder. Ideally you do not want to go over 200

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You should have gotten a gauge that read 100-230ish at 400 Mr. Transmission is done. With a smaller sweep a small change in temp would be easier to notice. My buddy has an 01 powerstroke with a MagHytec tranny pan his runs around 120-150. No plow
  5. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

i sorry the gage starts at 120 not 150 and with no plow driving around town i have seen it go from just under 120 when i start the truck to 120 on the dot driving around for about 45 minutes i got the gage and a 2 gage pod of e bay for $30 its a vdo gage and came with the sending unit so i think it was a good deal. i also have two trans coolers i checked the temp at the inlet to the first cooler and i got 120 so i guess its accrete
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds just like my truck just without a shift kit.