1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how high

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by clark lawn, Feb 6, 2009.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

im looking at getting either a skid or a tractor this summer. i need something that will be able to load a vbox in the back of a F350 dump. will a skid lift high enough to do this or will i need a tractor? the places around here were i buy salt all have big wheel loaders but i dont need anything that big. I'm trying to find something i can use year round.
  2. Ditchdiggin

Ditchdiggin Member

You'll have no problem loading with a skidder. When I had a F450 dump w/vbox a 763 Bobcat would work just fine if the loader wasn't there.
  3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

you could use either for loading a v box....IMO i would go with a green tractor w loader...maybe a 4440 or 4340, something from the late 70's. as long a you keep them in working order they will not loose a penny in value. whereas a SS will depreciate thousands per year.
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

5. Jay brown

LOL...i'm not much of a farm boy ha ha help me out here
  6. cretebaby

I figured you meant a 4430

If a guy was to buy that vintage of green iron I would stay away from the 30 series and stick to the 40 series

The 4440 is a beast and will be the next 4020 IMO as far as owning a collector
  7. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

look on bobcat's website the s330 can lift 10'10'' high measure how high you have to reach then look at their line up. good luck.
  8. Jay brown

what your opinion on buying an older green vs going with a SS? green holds its value and usually get about 2x the hours out of them? they will lift 2x the weight also...
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have a 4020 and also a bobcat. Love the 4020 for all around working but the skid fits in alot of places the tractor wont. Tractor is also faster on the road.
  10. cretebaby

I agree on the green iron holding its value

The OP said "I'm trying to find something i can use year round" so it would all depend on what he has to do in the summer

IMO a 4440 wouldnt make a very good loader if I was buying Green iron of that vintage I would lean towards a 50 series with MFWD. Mfwd drive is a must IMO to make the loader useful

You are also talking a hell of a difference in price difference between a 4440 and a decent used skidloader. Your looking at around what $25k-$30k ish for the tractor and $10k- $15k for the skidder

As far as capacity I am always kinda disappointed when running our 90hp farm loader after running the skidder. It seem that the tractor should do a lot more but it does very little more But there is a big differnce between a 4440 and our farm loader