1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how high can you stack concrete blocks?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by OBRYANMAINT, Mar 9, 2003.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

setting up new salt bin for next season and am curious as to how high i can stack these and still be stable
  2. myo

myo Senior Member

are you reinforcing them or just dry laying the concrete blocks?
  3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

what size concrete blocks, are you talking about?

4" ,6" ,8" ,10" ,12" ?. hopefully mafia blocks?

are you pinning them together?

need a little more info.
  4. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Better question is, how hard can you push on them before you push the stack over?
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

How long do you expect this to last? You are aware of the reaction between salt and concrete, no? Concrete blocks here are very porous and would absorb the salt and soon disintegrate.

All the salt sheds here are of densely poured concrete or pressure treated lumber.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

been using "mafia blocks for quite a few years now and i am not worried about the corrosion.

they are about 4 foot long and roughly 2 feet square

i would like to not tie them together and they do not have a notch in them

i will most likely limit it to 4 high
  7. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

block heights

I have stacked mine 4 high. I have found I cant stack the salt any higher than 4 blocks is needed to contain. If you have a large loader you can stack salt higher. I have not been able to knock the walls down either. hehehe.. I also sprayed with a sealer before I put salt in. I also will build another bin this yr.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Our salt houses have always been made from mafia blocks,no problems with them falling apart,or tipping over.You can go 5 high if neccesary.

Keep an eye on the rebar hook on top of the blocks when you get them.We had a bunch that were sticking out to much over the top of the block,and you couldn't stack them without them wobbling all over.We sent them back.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

brilliant minds think alike.. i use them too, what do you guys pay for them? they do make great cheap walls if you have the means to handle them.
  10. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Block Price

I pay 30 for not so good blocks and 35 for good, nice blocks. I have to haul them. That is pick up price. Akron OHIO.
  11. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

who would sell these mafia blocks? A concrete company?

I too need to do something next season.
  12. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Carlriv, most concrete companies sell them. I think they make them with leftover batches, or when they are slow.

13. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

you're correct. most ready mix companies make the blocks from left over , or fouled up orders.
  14. FIREDUDE26

FIREDUDE26 Member

Yes , the company i got mine from uses left over cement. they have 3' or 4' the 4's go quick. i get the 3's for 15 bucks apiece. i haul.
    I am going to buy more to improve my bin and also build me a topsoil bin.
  15. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

How much do those blocks weigh?
  16. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

block weights

The blocks are 2' X 2' X 6' weight is over 2000 lbs. so I have been told by the concrete company.

17. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Thise 2x2x6 blocks actually come in at over 3500 lbs. 24 cf @ 150 lbs/ct. A 580 with jacked up pressure can lift the 4' longone with the hoe, I doubt it could manage a 6'.
  18. FIREDUDE26

FIREDUDE26 Member

I am not sure about the weight excattly but i know i can pick the 4' up with my 555e back hoe with no problem and also i can pick the 3' up with my 773 bobcat. I think the weight depends on the type of cement, 4 , 5 or 6 bag mix.
  19. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

block weight

I pick mine up with a 5500 ford but have to use the front bucket. Hoe wont lift it. The guy here in town makes a corner block too it is real heavy. Only bad thing is when the rerod breaks on the top. Very hard to move then.
    Building more salt storage this yr as almost didnt hve enough this past yr due to short salt supplies.

20. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Dave do you have any picts of the corner blocks?

What are the outside lenghts of the legs.

Thanks Jerre