1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how have boss poly plows held up?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by tom18287, Oct 19, 2015.

1. tom18287

tom18287 Member
    from Boston

hey guys, probably getting a new DXT for my new truck. considering poly. how do they hold up? does it get brittle over time? does the red fade out? how much heavier are they than steel?

thanks

tom

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

3. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

My v-blade is 10 years old and poly is still in good shape . Few gouges and scratches and fades to a light red - pink color . I would buy another one ...Thumbs Up

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I had one, the poly kept peeling up on the bottom.

I won't buy one again. Steel or Stainless for me.

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Color fade is the only issue we've experienced. Never had an issue with the material itself. Currently have 3 polys, 3 years old, and two 5 years old.

6. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I've had a couple poly, I like them better than steel. Color will fade, especially if stored outside, mine are always stored in the garage so it's not as noticeable.
    Like mentioned above, it can/will get scratched and gouged, but all in all I prefer poly. I have a steel blade this year because I couldn't pass on the deal.

7. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

I have a 7.6 straight blade poly, guessing around 10 years old and is doing great. I keep it in the garage so the color hasn't faded and no cracks or gouges. Also now that I think about I can't recall any problem with snow sticking to it. I mean I'm sure some does but I can't think of a time when I was aware of it.

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Poly don't rust
    Poly don't need painted
    Store poly covered or indoors in the summer and it won't fade much

I wouldn't own a steel one other than stainless.

9. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

I love my poly DXT, snow doesn't stick to it like it does to steel and best of all no molboard rust. I plow a few gravel parking lots and have noticed the rock leaves tiny scratch lines in the poly, I'm sure some of this could be avoided by back dragging more early in the year until things are froze down. Would buy poly again!

10. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

The only problem mine has had is one side one of the bolts holding the mold broke. It eventually packed with snow and peeled back. It was easily fixed with some self tappers. I love my.poly I would buy another mine is 3 years old and literally no rust at all and it has been used hard

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

There was a thread on the moldboard issue, it is an easy fix. Would've been nice if the designers used the same hardware for the whole thing but the bottom row bolts into welded expansion nuts inside the channel iron on the bottom. Cheap fix here http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=157425

12. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

I was told by my boss dealer they store their poly plow outside its 5 years old and not faded... I found it hard to believe and im sure he was convincing me on the ploy since it was the last one they had left on the lot.. As far as the poly peeling up there is a fix for it.. Not something you wanna do to a new plow but usually its the commerical guys that have a problem with it.. The snow builds up behind it and after solid hours of use it starts to pull it off.. Residential/small commercial guys dont seem to have a problem and if you park your truck in a heated shop its even less common.. As far as weight they are not much heavier than steel and thats just do to the extra supports for the moldboard

13. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm on my second poly V. It's held up great for me. No color fading yet. The snow only sticks to the cutting edge...not the poly