1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How hard to remove Boss truck mount??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by TPS Alberta, Sep 28, 2011.

1. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

I have a 2008 F-350 with the 9'2 Power-Vee. I am getting a different f-350 (same year). The shop quoted me $2500 to remove from truck 1 and install on truck 2. How hard is it to remove the mount by myself? Do I need any special equipment or basic hand tools?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Of course you guys up north pay more for just about everything but is that a typo? $2500 for a same vehicle transfer is ridiculous. Works out to about $600 an hour on that application. :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

BB needs to raise his rate!

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yea thats crazy expensive. Definatly for that price print the manual from boss' site and do it yourself. Just remember to use loctight on all your bolts. I know what I could do with 2500 dollars and it wouldn't be having a plow shop switch the mount between the same trucks same year.

5. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

so how long would it take one or two guys to remove? Any special tools required?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For first timers, 1.5 hr max and no special tools needed for removal. For installation a test light and a torque wrench are needed and you're tool selection is limited therefore you would consider those 'specialized' tools.

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know about a Ford but I can take my plow mount off my Dodge 2500 in 30 minutes to an hour with some wrenches. Install would be much harder for me because I do not have the tools that I would need to drill the holes that are needed in the tight spaces. Actually Im just assuming they had to drill the holes. Maybe they just used holes that were already there? I dunno. If that's the case, it would be very easy to reinstall as well.
    Does the $2500 include the wiring or just the mount? I am not good with electrical and would not want to risk doing this myself and doing it poorly or incorrectly.

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Took me about 45 mins by myself to install the mount itself. 2004HD Chevy. Wrench's and a floor jack was all I needed. I even modified the belly pan so I could leave that there. No holes needed to be drilled as it should mount to what is there already.

For the wiring I had George do all the wiring for a custom and professional look. $2500 is way out of line even if is mount and wiring.

9. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Mine just done today!

I traded my 08 Silverado for a F-350 Superduty Diesel and before I got rid of it took it to my local BOSS dealer who has done my plows for years.He took off the Silverado mount and all the plow wiring.No charge ( cash wise) except he kept the old mou.I took him down my F-350 on Tuesday evening and today he called and said it was done.He put a new mount on the truck, re-installed the previous wiring, new Solenoid ( original one from 04-time to change) The charge was $632.Very fair in my opinion. Would have liked B&B to do it but hes just alittleeeeeeeee far away from me.Thumbs UpThumbs Up

10. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

The guy who sold me the plow new last year wanted $300 to take the mounting bracket/wiring off the 09 and install them to the new 11.

11. Outd00r Maint..

Outd00r Maint.. Senior Member

I'll do it for 2500$
    :)

12. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Great!

Whoa! What a deal. American or Canadian money?????????????? You ARE also providing the truck, EH?