1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How hard to install a plow??

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by turbo38sfi, Nov 5, 2009.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Getting a new 2500HD Silverado and going to switch from a Snoway to a Blizzard. There's a dealer that's quite a ways away with great pricing. Thinking of just driving up and picking up the plow and installing myself.

What's involved? Does the mount bolt up pretty straightforward?

Wiring doesn't look all that difficult. Anyone attempted it before?

2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

The mount and wiring are straightforward - I just wired up my new (to me) truck today on my own. I wasn't comfortable wiring the 810 on my first truck. I've seen Snoway setups, and the Blizzard wiring is a bit more complex, but not much at all. The only special tool you need is a good crimp/splice kit to tie into the lighting harness. The mount bolts on in a half hour, and goes a lot quicker if you have a floor jack to put it on. However, if you have to assemble the plow too, that sounds pretty hard - or at least time consuming.

Let me know if you need help along the way - I can take pictures of my setup if you need to know where to put stuff in the engine compartment.

Edit: Make sure that the dealer gives you the correct headlight adapter kit since it's a long drive...

3. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

That's what I need to look into. Is the blade all setup so that there's no assembly needed there. Gonna call tomorrow to find that out. I've got all the tools I would need and do all my own work on everything else..so it shouldn't be TOO challenging.

I don't want to deal with assembling the plow though if it's not already setup...it's worth 200 to have them just do it, just don't feel like spending a whole day there.

4. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

It probably only took me 4 hours today, at a very relaxed pace, making sure the wires we all in order and well secured. What kind of plow are you looking at, and how much are they asking?

5. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

8110PP, 5200 installed, 5k cash and carry.

6. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

I think the "cash and carry" implies that the plow is assembled already. Thats how it was when I bought my 810 last year.

7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

For $200 I'd save the headache and let them have the fun. Hang out and watch if you'd like.

8. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Leaning towards this myself. Thanks for the replies.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Assembling your own plow is a great idea. You will have a much better understanding of how it works, and how to fix it. But I'm gathering you are not so much of a fix it yourself guy. In that case you want to buy your plow from a local dealer so they can repair/service it. New plows have problems too.

Even if the off truck is pre-assembled, which I doubt, do you have a way to get it out of your truck? Depending on the model of course, you could be looking at close to a half ton.

10. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Quite the opposite. I do all my own work on my bike and all my cars, trannies, engines whatever. Just juggling a lot of things on my plate right now and needed to decide if I can blow a full saturday or sunday on an install with plow season looming so close and a million other things to take care of too...

I have a gantry lift I use to get my sander in/out of my truck and would easily lift the plow @ only approx. 950lbs.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would definitely do it yourself then! Post a couple pics when you're done.