1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how hard of an install

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jasonz, Nov 15, 2010.

1. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

so my dad is looking to buy a ultramount 7.5 straight blade, its coming off the same truck so we should have everything we need, Im fairly mechanically inlcind and I have a friend who is very mechanically inclined (welding custom body work etc...) is this something we can handle.

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

You need a little bit of wiring know how, if you have that, then you will be fine. The mount is just putting bolts where they need to go.

3. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

how involved is the wiring? hes set up hydrolic systems on his cars and Im pretty sure he could handle it. as far as splicing into the trucks wiring whats involved is it just the headlights parking lights.

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

if everything matches up, you should have to plug and play the headlight harnesses and splice into the parking lights, the left turn and right turn, and then you just have connect 12v+ cable to battery, 12v- cable to battery.

in the truck, you need one switched source in th fuse panel, i commonly use the windshield wiper as my keyed source.

5. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Philbilly is 100% correct. I just did a new install on my F250 last weekend, and everything is just like he said.

The only hard part for you would be not having the manuals to read, even though they are kinda confusing and vague when it comes to the wiring aspect. I just laid out my harnesses the night before, and figured where everything went, and labeled them with blue masking tape and a marker. The tricky part is that some of the connectors look the same, so its tough to make sure where everything goes if you don't have the manuals.

6. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

So are the harness vehicle specific? If they only get wired into the head lights and just need a source for ignition signal.

7. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

I don't think they are vehicle specific. Rather they are "headlight type" specific. Mine were H13 headlights. So the plugs from Western matched up to that (but I'm not certain that all headlights don't share the same plug end), and they were spaced passenger side to driver's side pretty close to what my truck is. Again, they might space them to fit lots of trucks with H13 headlights.

On top of that, there's still other harnesses involved that probably fit everything Western makes....like the 22" battery extension cable, the vehicle control harness, the short conversion harness that plugs into the "A" spot on the module, etc. So its kind of a hybrid system between standard Western plug types and vehicle specific harnesses.

8. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

I followed you until that last part, Im just curious if I bought a plow from someone that had say a 2008 f350 and I wanted to put the plow on an 04 f350 minus the mounts would the harness work.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes as long as both trucks had the same headlamp style. If not then a different headlamp specific harness would be needed.

Iso's are a little different, they're truck brand specific. For example, a certain Iso will work on a Ford or Dodge but not a GM.