1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How hard is it to install?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jay albers, Aug 20, 2011.

1. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

If I buy a new plow does it come with instructions on how to install?

is it just a matter of bolting the mount to the frame? Are the holes there already in the frame or do i need to drill?

Im more worried about the electrical side of it. Will it come with detailed instructions on the electricall system?

They want around $300 to install it. I'd rather do it myself just to get a good understanding on how it works, but i also want it done right.

as long as theres detailed instructions i'm not to worried but if i have to wing it i may be in trouble

any help is welcome, thanks, Jay

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

All the plows i have put on required drilling some holes usually with a right angle drill. Some may require front end bumpers ect to be removed. Wiring can be intimidating especially when you see what the harness looks like. I had decent instructions with my last Boss plow......You could always do the plow install and take the wiring to a shop,
    Steve

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Look on whatever plow manufacturers website you are going to buy and find their manual and install guides and whatnot....that should answer your question and disband, or create new, doubt about doing it yourself.

4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

We always install all our own plows. It is not too difficult. Most mounts will come ready to bolt on, some drilling is occasionally required. As others have mentioned, the wiring can get a bit confusing, just follow the instructions that should come with your plow and you'll be fine. As you mentioned it is a great way to know your plows in and out.

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

While i see the benifits of familiarity with doing the plow install yourself, i would pay $300 to have it installed any day. The i would look over everything very carefully after the install so that i could "uninstall" and reinstall if needed.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

$300 is cheap.

What make of truck is it going on and is it a new plow? What make of plow?

There is no drilling with GM's. The wiring is very easy. The only wires you have to splice are the left and right turn signals and the running lights the rest is plug and play. You have to power the motor off the battery and the ground.

All the plows I have installed come with complete instructions.

7. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

im pretty frikin dumb and i put mine on by myself it was easy just read the instructions carefully you should be fine save yourself money

8. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Jay,

$300.00 is not tons of money for an installation. The question I would concern myself with is warranty. You may wish to ask before making a final decision.

Herm