1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How hard is it to install a fisher 8' on a Chevy k2500?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by SolsticeLandscp, Sep 14, 2009.

1. SolsticeLandscp

SolsticeLandscp Junior Member

Hey, I have a 99 K2500 (8 lug) and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how hard or easy it is to install a plow on it? I have looked for complete set ups used but have only found them at a few places.

http://maine.craigslist.org/pts/1373371620.html seems to have the best deal, 2,500 for everything needed and a 8' mm one in good condition. Installation is another 250. Is it worth paying for that? Thanks for any help.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

That's who i bought my first plow from. Not a bad guy, never met him though as someone else picked my plow up for me. Anyway, I hope that MM1 is in real good shape for that. And the plow install on that truck is a piece of cake, I don't know exactly where you are but i could help you with it if you wanted to bring it here. $250 is not a bad install price at all though.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

How hard is it? All depends on how mechanically inclined you are and what tools you have available. Good Air compressor, Impact, air drill, standard and metric drive sockets and possible a set of torches just for the mount.

I usually tell anyone who hasnt installed a plow before to plan on making a day of it. So $250 isnt to bad a deal.

4. SolsticeLandscp

Thanks for all of the information. I don't have an impact drill, a good air compressor or torches so $250 might be worth spending. Is a torch a necessity? Because I can usually get by with a breaker bar on most repairs.

And thanks for the offer mcwlandscaping, I will probably post some pictures if I have questions about installing it if I deiced to do it.

5. Crash935

A bottle of MAP gas might get you by, usually just need it for some of the bolts for the bumper since the bumper has to come off. Truct me, a breaker bar wont get some of them.

The electrical isnt to bad so maybe do that part and have just the mount installed by someone with the tools that are needed.

6. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I could be wrong but on a chev 2500, I don't see why the bumper would have to come off to install minute mount truck side mounts. I know I've not yet taken a bumper off to install mounts on a 2500.
    normally just 3 or 4 bolts each side on the frame in exisiting holes, no cuting or drilling. well maybe cutting the plastic on the lower side of the bumper but thats not a big deal.

7. Crash935

I had the old classic body in my head when thinking of this mount. Your right, no drilling. Will have to cut the lower portion fo the air dam.

8. SolsticeLandscp

Its the c/k series and there isn't much plastic under the bumper. Hear is a photo of the truck. Is the air dam the black plastic thing under the bumper?[​IMG]

9. SolsticeLandscp

hope this works [​IMG]

10. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Could be drilling holes in the frame on that for the mounts, but 90% sure the bumper has no need to come off. I've not install minute mounts on that body style,

11. Crash935

6 holes to drill. Sometimes you can come from the front and get a wrench inside the frame sometimes you cant.

12. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

If it had the center caps still on it would look exactly like my 97' when i bought it! I can't tell in the pic but if the lower air dam thing isn't taken off, take it off, it will look better! And then would not need to be cut when doing the plow install. And no you don't have to take off the bumper but you do have to drill. Still not a hard install at all though.

13. SolsticeLandscp

I bought a plow, and am going to install the wiring harness soon. There are 4 wires that need to be spliced, each blinker, parking light and one to power the control unit inside the truck. Could I run the power to the controll unit directly to the seloniod? Or would it be to much power for a (10?) gauge wire?

Also where is the best place to go through the fire wall? I would prefer not to drill a hole. And when you splice into the blinkers/ parking light do you just peel back the coating of the blinker wire and wrap the harness wire around that? Thanks for all the help.

14. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

That's the classic body... you're going to wind up taking the bumper off to get the mount installed. Still not that big of a deal though.

15. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

I'm pretty sure u'll need to take the bumper off to access the inner frame rail.So u can get the nuts on the bolts that go up towards the motor.Instead of splicing go to a auto parts store and ask them for -Scotch locks--Once u see one u'll appreciate using them/instead of splicing.U can run the constant pwr lead to the fuse box that sits on the drivers side fender inside the engine bay/towards the fire wall there a couple accessory pwr bolts/just use a eyelet.MAKE SURE u use a inline fuse aswell Good Luck

16. cubicinches

I splice the turn signal and parking light wires with uninsulated butt splices, then solder and heat shrink. Twisted wires and tape, scotch locks, etc. quickly wind up turning green and not working. The uninsulated butt splices are what comes with a headlght wiring kit from Fisher or Western.

17. Crash935

Bare connectors and shrink tube or butt connectors with the shrink tube on it is the only way. Corrosion will get in there if you use the scotch locks.

18. SolsticeLandscp

Do you splice into the blinker wires creating a T or does the plow harness compensate for the cut wire and send the signal to the blinker?

19. cubicinches

You splice in... keeping the vehicle's original wire intact.

20. SolsticeLandscp

I was looking at a fisher diagram on their website for the push plates and I don't have a bolt bar. Do you have to use one of those?